SSC English 2nd Paper Final Model Test 2018
Part A: Grammar
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Bangladesh is blessed with (a) —- inland open water resource. It has (b) —- rivers, canals, lakes and (c) —- areas of floodplains. Hakaluki Haor is one of the (d) —- water lands of Bangladesh (e) —- a land area of 18386 hectares (f) —- a rich biodiversity to provide a direct and indirect (g) —- to nearly 190,000 (h) —-. This haor (i) —- declared an ecologically critical area in April 1999 by the government of Bangladesh. Hakaluki is a complex ecosystem (j) —- more than 238 interconnecting beels and jalmahals.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words 0.5×10=5 Our dear motherland, Bangladesh, is an (a) —- country. Agriculture is the (b) —- of our national economy. Most of our people are engaged (c) —- cultivation and earn their (d) —- through it. Many cultivators are (e) —- poor to (f) —- and use modern tools. (g) —- they can grow bumper crops if the climate is (h) —- .We hope to become (i) —- developed nation (j) —-.
3. Make five sentences using parts of sentence from each column of the table below. 1×5=5
|Socrates||found||a wife who use to lose her temper.|
|One day his wife||went||looking out on the street .|
|He||believed||out and sat on the doorstep of his house .|
|She||had||that angry man is more of a beast than a human being .|
|He||be||more furious than ever and begun to insult Socrates.|
|that Socrates was not paying heed to her.|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=05
Food (a) ___ our basic need. But this food is (b) ___ by the greedy businessmen who (c) ____ after money. Having (d) ___the adulterated food, people (e) ___ a victim to disease of various kinds. For the capital punishment of the dishonest businessmen, the (f) ___laws must be (g) __ for the betterment of common public health. It is (h) ___ that the strict law will be (i) ___with a view to (j) ___the harmful act of food adulteration.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text.
“Follow my example”, she said as she shook hand,” And never eat more than one thing for luncheon.” “I’ll do better than that,” I retorted. “I’ll eat nothing at dinner tonight.” “Humorist,” she cried gaily, jumping into a cab,” you’r quite a humorist.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10 a) Once two women quarrelled over a baby, each claiming the baby as her own. (Compound)
b) As the dispute was not settled, they were brought to a judge for a settlement (Simple)
c)The judge left no stone unturned to solve the problem (Affirmative)
d) He also tried his best to make them accept the truth but both clung to their claims. (Simple)
e) The wise judge then ordered the executioner to cut the baby into two equal parts. (Passive)
f) At this, one woman remained quiet but the other one cried out in sorrow (Complex) g) The real mother did not want to kill his son(Interrogative) h) So, he decided to leave her demand. (Passive) i) The fake mother gladly accepted his proposal. (Negative) J) Then the judge gave the baby to the weeping mother and punished the other one. (Simple)
7. Complete the sentence. 1×5=5 a) Faults are thick ———–.
b) He talked as though ———-. c) If I had got a scholarship ———–.
d) His silence proves that ———-.
e) ———– where the president of Bangladesh lives.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5×10=5
Smoking is a (a) —- (danger ) bad habit. It is (b) —- (harm) to health. It is also (c) —- (cost). A (d) —- (smoke) should not smoke (e) —- (public). Smoking creates (f) —- (pollute). Smoking caused many (g) —- (curable) diseases. It caused (h) —- (comfort) to others. It causes irritation in the eyes and (i) —- (settle) the mind. But there are many people who are (j) —- (aware) of the bad effect smoking.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
a) ‘You’ is a pronoun, ———-?
b) A man like you should not do this, ———-?
c) We suppose, the ship cast anchor ———-?
d) One lie begets hundred lies, ———-?
e) Apu and not his friend completed the work, ———-?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1×5=5
It is better to possess brain (a) —– beauty. (b) —- physical beauty is entirely visual; the beauty of brain is all encompassing. It is (c) —– a known fact that beauty is only skin deep. What is worse is (d) —– physical beauty is not ever lasting (e) —– it declines with the passage of live and age.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 05
is there anybody here who has ever crossed a river by a boat i have teacher i clearly remember what happened in the journey said jamal
Mahbub Murad (Lecturer in English)
Examiner: Dhaka Board
Writer: Naba Puthighar Publication
Cell: 01761519111, fb/mmuraddu