HSC Model Test – 2020 (4)
English 2nd Paper
Full Marks: 60 Time: 70 Minutes
Part A: Grammar (Marks 60)
1. Fill in the blanks in the following text with articles as necessary. Some of the blanks may not require an article. Put a cross (×) in those blanks. 0.5×10=5
Honesty is (a) —– divine virtue. All people do not possess this (b) —–. (c) —– man who possesses this quality is (d) —– happiest man in life. Truly speaking, (e) —– man should have trustworthiness because nobody trusts (f) —– liar. But all respect (g) —– honest man. (h) —– honesty can never be bought. It is (i) —– rare quality which may be found even in (j) —– poor family.
2. Complete the text with suitable prepositions: 0.5×10=5
The Nobel Prize is the most prestigious prize (a) —– the world. The prize is awarded (b) —– the persons (c) —– outstanding contributions (d) —– six fields. Economics was included (e) —– the list in 1969 (f) —– the first time. One prize is awarded (g) —– each field. But, if there is more than one recipient (h) —– the prize (i) —– one filed, the prize money is equally distributed (j) —– all the winners.
3. Complete the sentences with suitable phrases/words given in the box 0.5×10=5
|it||have to||would rather||had better||let alone||what if|
|as if||as soon as||what’s it like||what does— look like||no sooner had||was born|
a) Some people have strong personality. They —– starve than seek help from others.
b) Poor peasants in Bangladesh cannot manage vegetables —– nutritious food.
c) Shakira is supposed to perform on the stage today. —– she fails to attend the function?
d) My duty is to send the message to different sections working here —– I receive them.
e) —– remains the problem of finance. So. We feel hesitant to launch this big project.
f) Have you ever tasted asparagus? No, not yet, —– eating asparagus?
g) Thomas Alva Edison turned a great scientist in his later life. He —– in the USA.
h) “Friend, ____ a porcupine ____?” “Sorry, my dear friend, I don’t have any idea.”
i) You behave —– you were an employee of this office. j) Our wild birds and animals are facing extinction. We —– take stern action to save them.
4. Complete the sentences using suitable clauses/phrases: 0.5×10=5
a) You cannot succeed in life unless ———–.
b) ——— where there is life, there is hope.
c) Would that ———-.
d) Ten years passed since ———–. e) A man who leads an idle life ———–.
f) There is hardly any person ———–.
g) Would you mind ———–?
h) I went to London with a view to ———–. i) He underwent hard work in order to ———–.
j) I could not think of ———–.
5. Read the text and fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs as per subject and context: 05
There (a) ____ (be) many reasons why the talented and qualified people (b) ____ (leave) their motherland. The first reason (c) ____ (be) the developed countries (d) ____ (allure) them by (e) ____ (offer) the best opportunities to succeed in life. Second, the country fail (f) ____ (provide) suitable jobs for them. Again if they are employed, they (g) ____ (get) a handsome salary as per their quality. Besides, some people feel that their life is not (h) ____ (secure) in the country. But when they get better facilities in our country, nobody (i) ____ (leave) the country. Actually, it is equal to (j) ____ (betray) their motherland.
6. Read the text and change the sentences as directed: 05
(a) Sundarbans looks wonderfully beautiful. (Exclamatory) (b) Hamlet and Macbeth are two popular tragic heroes of Shakespeare. But Hamlet is more popular than Macbeth. (Positive) (c) Anna Frank was given a diary in which she chronicled her life from 1942 to 1944. (Simple) (d) During this time, she spent two years in hiding. (Passive) (e) Those who become tired may go to relax there. (Compound)
7. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches. 05
“Where do you come from?” I asked him. “From San Carlos,” he said and smiled. “I was taking care of animals. I stayed, you see, taking care of animals. I was the last one to leave the town of San Carlos.”
8. Identify the unclear pronoun references in the passage to make them clear: 05
Mr. Rahman is a doctor. He is reticent. They do not like the people whom talk too much. He advises those to talk little. There is always a big rush of patients to them. He treats them with a lot of care. He prescribes for them less but exacts medicine which has spread their name far and wise.
9. Read the following text and use modifiers as directed in the blanks speeches: 0.5×10=5
Students are the (a) ___ (pre – modify the noun) leaders of the country. The development of the country depends (b) ___ (post-modify the verb) on how the students prepare themselves to face (c) ___ (use a noun adjective to pre-modify the noun) challenges. But unfortunately, many students are not serious (d) ___ (use a prepositional phrase). They spoil their (e) ___ (pre-modify the noun) time. Some of them do not go to school (f) ___ (use a noun phrase). Some remain inactive (g) ___ (use a prepositional phrase). But they have to be attentive and struggle hard (h) ___ (use an infinitive phrase). They should remember that success is equal to (i) ____ (use an adjective) work with determination. So, all students should work hard (j) ___ (use an infinitive phrase).
10. Use appropriate sentence connectors in the blank speeches of the following passage: 05
Home is the word (a) —– gives solace to each (b) —– every soul in the universe. Home is the place (c) —– people feel secured. (d) —– a fortunate child I have my loving parents and one brother. My father is the earning member (e) —– a disciplined man. My mother is an affectionate lady. But (f) —– my mother gets angry with me, I feel restless. (g) —– I make my mother happy again. My father is a quiet person. (h) —– at times (i) —– he has spare time, he plays with us and tells us interesting stories. Again, my brother is the cutest person I have ever seen. (j) —– he is very small; he is quite capable of expressing his concern for me.
11. Read the passage and write the antonym or synonym of the words as directed below: 05
Facebook is a very popular social networking site with over eight hundred million users. But it has both positive and negative effect on its users. We can keep touch with our friends and relatives. It is the best means to stay connected with people. Facebook helps us make friendship even with unknown people. On the other hand, it is very easy for the cyber bullies to thrive. They can harass anyone. Besides, teenagers are spending too much time on it.
(a) popular (synonym) (b) effect (synonym) (c) touch (synonym) (d) means (synonym) (e) connected (antonym) (f) unknown (synonym) (g) easy (antonym) (h) harass (synonym) (i) teenagers (synonym) (j) spend (synonym)
12. There are ten errors in the use of punctuation marks in the following text. Re-write the text correcting the errors. 0.5×10=05
mandela is at the epic center of our time ours in South Africa and yours wherever you are Nadine Gordimer the South African writer and Nobel laureate for literature once remarked.
1. a) a b) × c) a/the d) the e) a/× f) a g) an h) × i) a j) a/the
2. a) of/in b) to c) for d) in e) in f) for g) in h) for i) in j) between/among
3. a) would you mind b) let alone c) what if d) as soon as e) it f) what’s it like g) was born h) what does —- look like i) as if j) have to
4. a) You cannot succeed in life unless working hard/ hard word.
b) A proverb goes that where there is life, there is hope.
c) Would that I could be the president of Bangladesh.
d) Ten years passed since we had met together.
e) A man who leads an idle life cannot shine in life.
f) There is hardly any person who dislikes flower.
g) Would you mind helping me doing the work?
h) I went to London with a view to receiving my higher education. i) He underwent hard work in order to succeed in life.
j) I could not think of neglecting my duty.
5. a) are b) leave/are leaving c) is d) allure e) offering f) to provide/providing g) do not get h) secured i) should leave j) betray
6. (a) How beautiful Sundarbans looks! (b) But Macbeth is not as popular as Hamlet. (c) Anna Frank was given a diary to chronicle her life from 1942 to 1944. (d) During this time, two years were spent by her in hiding. (e) The people become tired and they may go to relax there.
7. I asked him where he came from. He smiled and replied that he was from San Carlos and added that he had been taking care of animals. Then he said that he had stayed, I saw, taking care of animals. He further said that he had been the last one to leave the town of San Carlos.
8. Mr. Rahman is a doctor. He is reticent. He does not like the people who talk too much. He advises them to talk little. There is always a big rush of patients to him. He treats them with a lot of care. He prescribes for them less but exacts medicine which has spread his name far and wise.
9. a) future b) greatly/largely c) world/job d) in their study e) valuable f) everyday g) in their study h) to succeed in life i) hard/great j) to shine in life
10. a) which b) and c) where d) as e) and/as well as f) when/if g) then/but soon h) but i) when j) though/although
11. (a) famous (b) influence (c) hold (d) medium (e) disconnected (f) unfamiliar (g) hard (h) hassle (i) adolescents (j) pass
12. “Mandela is at the epic center of our time. Ours in South Africa and yours; wherever you are,” Nadine Gordimer, the South African writer and Nobel laureate for literature once remarked.