HSC Model Test 2020 (2)
English 2nd Paper
Part A: Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks in the following text with articles (a/an/the) as necessary. Some of the blanks may not require an article. Put a cross (×) in those blanks. 0.5×10=5
Every student wants to do better in (a) —— examination. But it is not (b) —— easy work. (c) —— student has to do something for this. From (d) —— very beginning, he must be sincere. He should read (e) —— texts again and again. He must not memories an answer without knowing (f)—— meaning. He must not make notes from a common (g) —— source. He should have good (h) —— command over English. By doing all these things, (i) —— student can hope to make (j) —— excellent result.
2. Complete the text with suitable prepositions. 0.5×10=5
We want happiness (a) —— life. No one wants to live an unhappy life. But happiness depends greatly (b) —— activities and attitude (c) —— life. If we are dishonest and do evil activities, we will never be able to lead a happy life. Again if we always hanker (d) —— money or wealth, happiness will never be our company. (e) —— the other hand, those who are honest, pious and satisfied (f) —— what they have, can enjoy happiness. Honest people never suffer (g) —— anxiety or incessant pain. They have an aim (h) —— life (i) —— which they can attain peace. They are not afraid (j) —— anything. And those who are not covetous for money or wealth can enjoy pure happiness.
- Complete the sentences with suitable phrases/words given in the box. 0.5×10=05
|have to||would rather||as long as||let alone||what if|
|as long as||need not||used to||in case||there|
(a) Runa did not wake up on time. Now she is late. She —— she woke up early. (b) You seem to be very nervous. Is —— any problem? (c) You have a lot of shirts. You —— buy a new one. (d) A warrior —— die than surrender to enemies. He loves his country more than his life. (e) A: I’ll buy at least ten books from the book fair. B : —— you run short of money? (f) I could not remember his name, —— his parents. (g) Our environment is getting polluted. We —— plant more trees to save the environment. (h) The dinner was not ready. We waited —— we could. (i) My parents were fond of music. They —— listen to those old songs. (j) You are making a long journey. Keep your phone turned on —— we need to contact you.
4. Complete the sentences using suitable clauses/phrases. 0.5×10=5
(a) Physical exercise keeps us healthy and strong. If you take regular physical exercises, ——. (b) They came to you with a view to ——, but you scolded them without any reason. (c) Please wait here until ——. I have a serious matter to discuss with you. (d) I was not hungry at all. If I had been hungry,——. (e) Trees are essential for our existence. So we should plant——. (f) There goes a proverb that ——. So, we must make proper use of time. (g) We should drink pure water. Since the water of this bottle is not pure,——. (h) The two brothers are not on good terms. Yesterday when we went to their house, ——. (i) Air is polluted is many ways. It is high time ——. (j) The martyrs laid down their lives in 1971. They did it so that ——.
- Read the text and fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs as per subject and context. 0.5×10=5 There are many people who (a) —— (not take) physical exercise. They can hardly (b)—— (realize) that they themselves (c) —— (ruin) their health. They (d) —— (fall) victim to many diseases. Life (e) —— (become) dull to them. They (f) —— (remain) always ill termed. We (g) —— (build) good health and sound mind through physical exercise. Physical exercise (h) —— (make) our body active and the muscles strong. It also (i) —— (improve) our power of digestion and blood circulation. It (j) —— (give) strength to our brain.
6. Read the text and change the sentences as directed. 1×5=5
(a) Acquiring a language is more successful than learning (Positive). (b) Teachers encourage the learners of a second language to practice the language (Passive). (c) Students who wish to earn proficiency in a language should practice the language (Simple). (d) Communicative competence can be acquired in two ways (Active). (e) Language plays a very important role in our life (Exclamatory).
7. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches. 05 “Whose picture is it?” I asked. “A little girl’s of course,” said Grandmother. “Can’t you tell?” “Yes, but do you know the girl?” “Yes, I knew her,” said Granny “but she was a very wicked girl and I shouldn’t tell you about her.”
8. Identify the unclear pronoun references in the following paragraph. Where necessary, rewrite the sentence so that all pronoun references are clear. 1×5=5
Books are the medium through which human beings talk with enlightened minds, the great men of the world. They are our best friends. They introduce them to the life and the world. Books are the mirrors of past, present and even future. These are having an active voice. We know about the thought and deeds of our ancestors through it. They make the noble men alive in the world forever.
9. Read the following text and use modifiers as directed in the blank spaces. 0.5×10=5 A village doctor is a (a) —— (use an intensifier to pre-modify the adjective) familiar person in the rural areas of Bangladesh. He is (b) —— (pre-modify the verb) known as a quack. A village doctor is not a (c) —— (pre-modify the noun) doctor. He (d) —— (pre-modify the verb) sits in a small dispensary in the morning and evening. He treats the patients (e) —— (use a participle to post-modify the verb) small fees. A village doctor is not a (f) —— (pre modify the noun) man. His chamber is (g) —— (pre-modify the verb) furnished. He cannot supply costly medicines to the (h) —— (pre-modify the noun) patients. In our country, the number of qualified doctors is (i) —— (use an intensifier to pre-modify the adjective) few. So, a qualified village doctor is a great friend to the (j) —— (pre-modify the noun) people.
10. Use appropriate sentence connectors in the blank spaces of the following passage. 0.5×10=05
Man is a social being. (a)—— man cannot live alone. (b) —— man has been living together from the time immemorial. Living in society is not an easy task. If we want to live in a society, we have to follow certain rules and regulation of that society. (c) ——, we have to be co-operative (d) ——. We must help others when they need it. (e) ——, we have to be careful not to heart others by our words or activities. (f) ——, we must control our emotions and behave well with others. (g) ——, we should not think and live for us. (h) —— , we should always work for the betterment of the society. (i) ——, we should sacrifice our lives for others. (j) ——, sacrificing our lives for others can make us immortal.
11. Read the passage and write the antonym or synonym of the underlined words as directed. .5×10=5 One hot day, a thirsty crow flew all over the fields looking for water. For a long time, it could not find any water. It felt very weak, almost giving up hope. Suddenly, it was a water jug below her. It flew down to see if there was any water inside. Yes, it could see some water inside the jug. The crow tried to push its head into the jug. Sadly, it found that the neck of the jug was too narrow. Then it tried to push the jug down for the water to flow out. It found that the jug was too heavy. The crow thought for a while. Then it saw some pebbles. It got a good idea. It started picking up the pebbles one by one and dropped each into the jug. As more and more pebbles filled the jug, the water level kept rising. Soon it was high enough for the crow to drink. (a) thirsty (synonym); (b) weak (antonym); (c) suddenly (synonym); (d) below (antonym); (e) inside (antonym); (f) narrow (synonym); (g) heavy (antonym); (h) idea (synonym); (i) pebble (synonym); (j) rising (antonym).
12. There are ten errors in the use of punctuation marks in the following text. Rewrite the text correcting the errors. 0.5×10=05
The superintendent said Nobody would drive in the fog Jerry said I came just before bedtime last night and you hadn’t come. Then, I brought Pat some of my breakfast this morning I wouldn’t have let anything happen to him I was sure of that therefore I didn’t worry the authoress replied.