Complete the following passage using suitable words. Use only one for each gap:-
1. Books are men’s best (a) ——– in life, you may have many good friends, but you do not (b) —— them when you (c) ——- them. They may not always (d) —— to you with sympathy. One or two may (e) —— false and do you much (f) ——. But books are always ready to be your (g) ——. Some books will (h) —— you laugh some others will give you much (i) —–. Again some books will bring new knowledge and ideas. They are your (j) —— friends thought out your life.
Ans: (a) friends/companions (b) find (c) need/want (d) come (e) prove/be (f) harm (g) make (h) make (i) pleasure (j) real
2. A flower is the best (a) —— of nature. It is a (b) —— of purity and beauty. It gives us (c) ——. There is nobody but (d) —— a flower. Its sweet smell (e) —— is one to all. Nowadays, flowers are (f) —— in our country. Many people earn their (g) —— by flower cultivation. Today (h) —– people (i) —— their houses with flowers to enhance beauty. At present flower exhibitions are (j) —— in our country.
Ans: (a) gift (b) symbol (c) pleasure (d) likes/loves (e) flower (f) cultivated/grown (g) livelihood (h) many (i) decorate (j) held
3. A student, who (a) —— the best seeds in his life, is an ideal student. He is (b) —— to his parents. He never (c) —— with his brothers and sisters. He is (d) —— to his neighbors. He learns his lessons (e) —— and never keeps himself aloof from the institute. He is obedient to his teachers and (f) —— note what his teachers say. An ideal student (g) —– good use of his time. He (h) —— his leisure time in reading good books and newspapers. He (i) —— good company with good boys. An ideal student helps classmates in (j) —— their difficult lesson.
4. Afforestation means preservation of trees. It is an (a) ——- to deforestation. Trees and plants are part and (b) —— of the environment. Ecology fully (c) —– on trees and plants. The country will (d) —– into desert unless there are trees. The trees help to (e) —– the soil from erosion. Floods can (f) —— affect those areas covered with trees. Storms cannot (g) —— its forcefully on the places (h) —— there are trees. However, the trees are so (i) —— that it is impossible to think of life (j) —– it.
Ans: (a) opposite (b) parcel (c) depends (d) turn (e) protect (f) hardly/rarely (g) impose/force (h) where (i) important (j) without
5. Bangladesh is a country (a) —— an area of 147570 square kilometers. It is (b) —— with more than 140 million people. About 1000 people live in per (c) —— kilometer. So it is a (d) —— populated country now. The present growth rate is very (e) —— which should be (f) —— immediately. If this rate (g) —— on unchecked, Bangladesh will (h) —— a great problem. So everyone should come (i) —— to (j) —— public awareness.
6. Bangladesh is a darling child of nature. Nature has (a) —— her with unique beauty. Really, no (b) —— country in the world is so (c) —— with natural beauties as Bangladesh is. She is noted for her (d) —— beauty, golden crops of paddy and (e) —— leaves of trees. The six seasons of the year (f) —— by turns marking Bangladesh a land of beauty, variety and plenty. Her rivers present her a (g) —— beauty particularly in the rainy season. The boats (h) —— on the rivers under multi (i) —— sails also present a (j) —— sight.
Ans:(a) blessed (b) other (c) rich (d) natural (e) green (f) coming (g) natural (h) playing (i) colored (j) beautiful
7. Bangladesh is a small country but has a (a) —— population. Most people here live below the (b) —— line and cannot therefore (c) —— to educate their children. Many poor children (d) —— drop out of school after just a few years or simply do not go to (e) —— at all. Despite of this situation, we have far too many (f) —— to educate compared to the number of (g) —— available. Bangladesh needs schools, colleges and (h) —— to provide for the increasing number of (i) ——. But owing to financial and resource constraints, the government cannot fund the (i) —— number of educational institutions.
Ans: (a) huge (b) poverty (c) afford (d) often (e) school (f) children (g) institutions (h) universities (i) students (j) vital
8. Bangladesh is in South-Asia on the (a) —— of the Bay of Bengal. It is (b) —— by India (c) —— three sides. She has been independent (d) —— 1971. The religions in Bangladesh are Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism and (e) —–. She has a (f) —– climate. Families are usually (g) —— by males. (h) —— monogamy is practiced and people like to live an (i) —— family. I am (j) —— of my country.
Ans: (a) shore (b) surrounded (c) on (d) in (e) Christianity (f) moderate (g) run/maintained (h) here (i) extended (j) proud
9. Books introduce us (a) —— the best society. They bring us into the (b) —— of the greatest minds that (c) —— ever lived. We hear what (d) —— said and did we see (e) —— as if they were (f) —— alive. We are participator (g) —— their thoughts, we sympathize (h) —— them, (i) —— with them and we feel as if we were a measure actors. The great and good men (j) —— not die even in this world.
Ans: (a) to/with (b) writing (c) have (d) they (e) then (f) still (g) in (h) with (i) speak (j) will
10. Computer was not (a) —– overnight. It took long time and hard labour to (b) —–computer. Many votaries (ভক্ত) of science (c) —– hard and (d) —– computer. Computer cannot (e) —– itself. It works on the basis of command (f) —— by the operator. It is (g) ——- in our daily life for various purposes. It has (h) —— our work load and (i) —— our life easy. Today the doctors use computer (j) ——- a disease.
Ans: (a) invented (b) invent (c) work (d) invented (e) work (f) given (g) used (h) lessened (i) make (j) diagnosis
11. Computer was not invented (a) ——. It took long time and hard (b) —— to invent computer. Many votaries of science (c) ——– hard for years together and finally came out (d) ——. In fact, computer cannot work (e) ——-. It works on the basis of the (f) ——- given by the operator. It is used in our daily life for (g) —— purposes. It has (h) —— our work, (i) —— our life comfortable. Nowadays doctors are also using computer to (j) —– a disease.
Ans: (a) overnight (b) invent (c) work (d) labour (e)successful (g)itself (h) command (g)various (h) lessened (i) make (j) diagnosis
12. Drug addiction has become a (a) —— national problem in our country. An (b) —— attraction for some harmful things may be (c) —— as addiction and the materials which cause (d) —— in men are called drugs. Drug addiction is spreading lie (e) —— in Bangladesh. The number of addicts is being (f) —— rapidly. Drug carries the addict to an unreal (g) —— of dreams. This is called (h) ——. Religious and social values must be taught (i) —– early childhood. A countrywide campaign (j) —– drug addiction should be undertaken immediately.
Ans: (a) great/major (b) indomitable/immense (c) defined/called (d) stimulation/addiction (e) epidemic (f) increased (g) world (h) illusion/hallucination (i) from (j) against
13. Einstein (a) —– lonely and (b) —– in his childhood. He (c) —– to play by himself in the (d) —– and woods. School was an unpleasant (e) —– for him. He was (f) —– by how war (g) —– were taught at school. At the age of fifteen, he went to Milan with his family. In Italy he (h) —– free for the first time. He (i) —– through countryside, visited museums and (j) —– galleries, attended concerts and read books.
Ans:(a) was (b) unhappy (c) liked (d) parks (e) place (f) disgusted (g) strategies (h) fell (i) traveled (j) art
14. English is a widely (a) —— language. In our country we (b) —— it as a (c) —– language. It is not our (d) —– tongue. Naturally, it is very (e) —– to learn. So, we have a very poor (f) —– on this language. As a result we do not get (g) —– interest in this (h) —–. For all these (i) —— English is difficult for us to (j) ——-.
Ans: (a) used (b) learn (c) foreign (d) mother (e) difficult (e) command (g) much (h) language (i) reason (j) learn
15. English is an (a) —– language (b) —– almost all over the world. People (c) —– English can express their ideas everywhere in the world. Tourism is an industry (d) —– cannot work (e) —– if there is not any (f) —– language for mutual expression of ideas and views without (g) —– much. English and without proficiency in this language you cannot (h) —– all over the world. But you will be in (i) —– barriers. In order to overcome these difficulties you have to be (j)—to listening and speaking.
Ans: (a) international (b) used (c) knowing (d) that (e) properly (f) common (g) being (h) travel (i) language (j) accustomed
16. Examination is very important in student’s life. If justifies a student’s (a) —– no student can be (b) —– to next class without examination, so every student (c) —– hard to pass the examination. There are many ways to do (d) —– in the examination and meritorious students follow these ways. Subject (e) —– is not all things to approach the exam. One may gather much (f) —– about his subject but if he cannot (g) —– his performance in the examination in such kind of knowledge is (h) —–. He (i) —– be very practical in the examination which is also an (j) —– thing.
Ans: (a) quality (b) promoted (c) tries (d) well (e) knowledge (f) knowledge (g) show (h) valueless (i) must (j) important
17. Friendship is not only a (a) —– but also an innate relationship between two men. A real friend understands you (b) —– and takes the share of your job and sorrow. But an acquaintance does not do the (c) ——. At the same time of you your sorrow he (d) —— be by your side. He (e) —— not know your parents and he won try to know their identity. On the (f) —— you real friend must be curious about every information about them. He must mix and talk to them (g) ——.When an acquaintance comes to your home, he will bring gifts and will act (h) —— as guest. But your real friend helps you in your (i) —–. So, we have to be (j) —— of friendship.
Ans: (a) name (b) well (c) same (d) may (e) may (f) contrary (g) happily/cordially (h) likes (i) kitchen (j) conscious
18. Foreign aid is (a) —– for our economy. (b) —– foreign aid we can’t progress. We can’t(c) —— our developmental programs (d) —— financial (e) —– from other developed countries. Sometimes we (f) —– sufficient assistance. But sometimes we (g) —– nothing. But that is not the (h) —— problem . The main problem is that the donor countries impose conditions that must be fulfilled. If we (i) —— to receive their help. And Alas! if we follow their suggestion then we can’t (j) —– very much.
Answer:(a) essential (b) without (c) continue (d) without (e) help (f) need (g) get (h)only (i) want (j) develop
19. Garment sector is playing a (a) —— role by earning a lot of (b) —— exchange. At the (c) —— time, it has opened scope of (d) —— for the unskilled workers especially for women. Though it has paved the way for economic (e) —— for the women the working (f) —— is not suitable to them. As they (g) —— to work for a (h) —— shift, they are bound to (i) —— most of the time at their working place. For unhygienic atmosphere, they are (j) —— from various kinds of disease.
Ans: (a) vital (b) foreign (c) same (d) employment (e) solvency (f) place (g) have (h) long (i) stay (j) suffering
20. Honesty is a (a) —— virtue. Helps a man to (b) —— in life. An honest man is (c) —— and honors all. No body (d) —— a dishonest man. A man may be eminent (e) —— means of dishonesty but that is short lived. A dishonest man (f) —— in the long run. So we should (g) —— to be honest (h) —— truthful if we (i)—to be respected (j) —— honored.
Ans:(a) great (b) succeed (c) loved (d) believes (e) by (f) suffers (g) try (h) and (i) want (j) and
21. In our country women are the (a) —— sufferers. When a girl is (b) —— to the parents, it is not (c) —— as a good news. It is the (d) —— of the parents that a daughter will only (e) —— to their sufferings. So they do not like to send her to school for education. Thus being (f) —— of the light of education she (g) —— at home for doing (h) —— work. Finally her parents remain greatly (i) —— to marry her off before she attains (j) ——.
Answer:(a) worst (b) born (c) regarded (d) idea (e) add (f) deprived (g) stays (h) household (i) anxious (j) maturity
22. It is a fact that complete (a) —— does not exist in worldly life. A man (b) —— have all things that he desires in(c) ——. It is better not to seek (d) —— happiness. Rather one should be satisfied with (e) —— one gets. Contentment is the key (f) —— to happiness. One should not always (g) —— about what he had and what he does not (h)—because by doing so a man (i) —— frustrated and depressed. There are some people who think that it is (j) —— that brings happiness and happiness could be bought.
Answer:(a) happiness (b) may (c) life (d) absolute (e) what (f) element (g) think (h) have (i) becomes (j) money
23. Liberty does not (a) ——— upon a people. People must (b) —— themselves to it. It (c) —— a fruit that (d) —— be earned before it (e) —— be enjoyed. That freedom means freedom only from foreign rule (f) —— an ancient idea. It (g) —— not merely government that should be free, but people themselves (h) —— be free. And no freedom (i) —— any real value for the common man or woman unless it also (j) —— freedom from want, disease and ignorance.
Answer:(a) descend (b) raise (c) is (d) can (e) is (f) out worth (g) is (h) should (i) has (j) means 24. Man is a rational being (a) —— wisdom, intellect and sense of self-respect. He had immense (b) —— in himself. It keeps him aloof from all sorts of evil (c) ——.To become an ideal man he should (d) —— the feelings of others and (e) —— his utmost for the greater welfare of (f) ——. It is not at all (g) —— that a man should remain busy only with his own (h) —— and materialistic obsession. With a view to (i) —— the society, he should come forward with sincerity and (j) ——.
25. Mobile phone is and important (a) —— of communication and correspondence. It helps to (b) —— with people of distant places in the (c) —— possible time. The use of mobile phone is more (d) —— than that of land phone. The person who (e) —— the message is to pay the bill. The (f) —— can respond any call without any cost. Mobile phone has (g) —— the communication system. People of all (h) —— of the society become benefited through the use of mobile phone. But sometimes criminals keep their (i) —— by using mobile phone. In spite of that, mobile phone is a (j) —— modern civilization.
Ans: (a) means (b) communication (c) shortest (d) effective (e) sends (f) receiver (g) changed (h) walks/spheres (i) communication (j) wonder
26. Man is architect of his own fortune. If he makes a (a) —— division of his time and does his duty (b) ——, he is sure to prosper in life. But if he does otherwise, he is sure to repent when it is too (c) ——.To kill time is as culpable as to commit (d) ——, for our life is nothing but the sun total of hours (e) —— and years .Youth is the golden (f) —— of life. If we lose the morning hours of (g) —— we shall have to repent (h) ——. If we sow good (i) —— during the sowing time, we shall reap (j) —— when we grow up.
Ans: (a) proper (b) accordingly (c) late (d) suicide (e) days (f) season (g) life (h) afterwards (i) seeds (j) harvest
27. Most students learn (a) —— by rote taking them from a common (b) ——. I think this is again a wrong(c) —— of preparing for an (d) —— for one thing it’s not good (e) —— things without understanding or thinking about them. You become a parrot. Another reason is that examiners get bored when they find almost the same answers in all the (f) ——. You can’t blame them if (g) —— don’t give you good (h) ——. If you were an (i) —— you would do the (j) ——.
Ans: (a) answers (b) sources (c) way (d) exam (e) memorizing (f) answers (g) if (h) marks (j) same.
28. Mother Teresa is a great (a) ——- and Philanthropist, was (b) —– on August 2,1920 in Albania of Yugoslavia. Her real (c) —— was Agnes Teresa. She had her (d) —– at a government school in Albania. In 1928 Agnes (e) —– to Kolkata to do some (f) —– work and later took Indian (g) —–. Then she devoted and (h) —– herself to the service of sufferings and distressed humanity. She (i) —— the Missionaries of Charity in 1950 and Nirmal Hridaya in 1954 in Kolkata and was (j) —– as mother.
Ans: (a) humanist (b) born (c) name (d) schooling (e) came (f) missionary (g) citizenship (h) dedicated (i) set up (j) known
29. Patriotism is a (a) —– virtue. It is an inherent instinct in human nature. A Muslim (b) —– it as a part of his faith. It (c) —– a man to shed every drop of his blood to (d) —–the liberty and honour of his country. A person who (e) —– not love his country is a brute. A true patriot (f) —– day and night for progress of his country (g) —— patriotism however is bad. A man like Hitler (h) —– such narrow patriotism did a lot of harm to mankind. So patriotism is not enough. We (i) —– have not hatred or malice towards anyone. A true patriot (j) —— the freedom of others as of his own. Ans: (a) noble (b) takes (c)creates (d) keep (e)does (f) works (g)False (h)took (i)must (j) values
30. Poverty (a) ——- a great problem in our country. But we hardly (b) —— that this miserable (c) —— is our own creation. Many do not try to (d) —– their conditions by means of hard and profitable business. They only (e) —– their miserable lot and (f) ——-their fate. We must (g) —– this lethargy and aversion to physical labour. Man is the architect of his own fortune. If we (h) —– this wise saying and (i) —– in the way of life with firm steps, our poverty and misery will (j) —– and peace and happiness will be our constant companion.
31. Our beloved motherland Bangladesh is an (a) —— and severing state. She came (b) —— existence on December 16, 1971. We (c) —— freedom at the cost of three million (d) ——. The lives which are laid down for the sake of the country’s liberty (e) —— really dignified lives. The martyred freedom (f) —— snatched away the red sun of independence at (g) —— of an ocean of blood. As they established undying achievement they reign in the hearts of their (h) —–. The countrymen will cherish the memory of hose glorious sons of the soil for (i) ——. In this sense, the millions of martyred freedom fighters are (j) ——.
Ans: (a) independent (b) into (c) achieved (d) live (e) are (f) fighters (g) cost (h) country (i) good/ever (j) immortal
32. Our freedom fighters are the (a) —— heroes of our country. We should (b) —— them as they sacrificed their(c) —— for the cause of our mother land. It is a matter of great (d) —— that most of them are (e) —— and our young generation does not know (f) —— the valiant struggle. Yet today many of the real freedom fighters have not been (g) —— and established. Some of them lead (h) —— poor life. The authority in power should take (i) —— step to enlist them and give them (j) —— honour.
Ans: (a) national (b) respect (c) lives (d) regret (e) forgotten (f) even (g) succeeded (h) necessary (j)proper
33. Student life a life of (a) —— for future struggle. To make him (b) —– for the struggle, education is necessary. So the first and foremost duty of a student (c) —– to prosecute his studies well. He who (d) —— his lessons regularly (e) —– well in the examination. On the (f) —– the student who wastes his time cuts a (g) —— figure. It should be (h) —— in mind that none can get back the (i) —— time. If the students neglect their studies they will suffer in the (j) —— run.
Answer: (a) preparation (b) fit/eligible/worthy (c) is (d) prepares/learns (e) does (f) contrary (g) sorry (h) kept (i) lost/missing (j) long
34.Smoking is a dangerous (a) —— habit. More than eighty percent people of our country (b) —— addicted to smoking. Smoking (c) —— many fatal diseases. It prevents the free (d) —— of blood through the (e) ——. It (f) —— our lungs. (g) —— addicted to smoking lose their appetite. Smoking pollutes the (h) ——. It costs a lot of (i) ——. So this habit should be (j) —— up.
Ans: (a) bad (b) are (c) causes (d) circulation (e) veins (f) affects (g) people (h) environment (i) money (j) given
35. Students (a) —— the future hope and strength of the country. Much depends upon how they (b) —– their time and energy now. They (c) —– in the first place, to acquire knowledge, experience and wisdom. Secondly, they have to look around and (d) —— the conditions of the people, their habits and customs and (e) —– in what direction reforms (i) —– necessary. The students are often compared to the buds and before buds are fully (g) ——. They should not (h) —– into politics. They should not (i) —– the player into the hands of the so called politicians who (j) —— then for their own purposes.
Ans: (a) are (b) spend (c) have (d) knowledge (e) see (f) is (g) bloomed (h) enter (i) remain (j) use
36. Teaching is a suitable profession for women (a) —— it helps them to (b) —— up their career and look after their family. Very few people (c) —— the amount of work that a teacher (d) —— to do in fact, a teacher does a lot work like (e) —— classes. Examining the answer (f) —— for the students. A good teacher has to study a lot in order to know the latest development regarding teaching opportunities for (g) —— development exist equally for everyone in teaching. Yet due to social (h) —— family circumstances, it often (i) —— difficult for women to (j) —— them.
Ans: (a) career (b) build (c) know/think /realize (d) has (e) taking (f) scripts (g) professional (h) and (i) remain/become (j) take
37. The 16 the December is a (a) —– day of the history of Bangladesh. On this day we achieved (b) —–. Bangladesh came into being at the cost of a bloody (c) ——. It occupied a place as an (d) —– country in the world map. Every year we (e) —– the day with great solemnity. The day (f) —— us the supreme sacrifice of our heroic sons. The day (g) —–with gunshot. The whole (h) —— wears of festive look. The national (i) —— is hoisted on the top of each (j) ——.
Ans: (a) victory/memorable (b) independence (c) struggle/war (d) independent (e) observe/celebrate (f) reminds (g) starts/begins (h) country (i) flag
38. The 21st February (a) —– a memorable day in our life. On this day in 1952 the martyrs (b) —- down their lives for the mother tongue. We (c) —— this day with great honour. The day is a government holiday. On this day our national flag (d) —— flying half-mast. Meetings and assemblies of different kinds are (e) —– and every Shaheed Minar is (f) —–with flowers. Those who (g) —— down their lives for the mother (h) ——- are immortal. Now the day has been (i) ——- international Mother Language (j) ——–.
Ans: (a) is (b) laid (c) observe/celebrate (d) keeps (e) arranged/held (f) covered (g) laid (h) tongue (i) recognized (j) day
39. The Bangladeshis are (a) —— all over the world for their traditional hospitality. The Bangladeshis may be poor in (b) —— but are (c) —— in heart. The home of a Banglee is open to a (d) ——. So entertaining a guest has become a (e) —— of Bengali culture. Whenever anyone (f) —— our house, we try best to please him or her. Certainly guests are (g) —— with most care. A guest may (h) —— at out residence for a longer period. During their stay,(i)—short or long the (j)—takes care of his guest.
40. The economy of a country largely (a) —— on its population. But if it (b) —— rapidly. The standard of living in the country declines. Because the increasing population eats (c) ——- the additional growth of (d) —— economy. Nevertheless the population of country (e) —– her man power and is (f) —— resource that (g) ——- a vital role in her economic sphere. Without adequate human resource the other resources of the country will (h) —— under-utilized and to hat extent her economic development will remain unsatisfactory. A large population (i) —— rise to large demand in manufactured goods. At the same time it can meet that demand by engaging itself in increasing productive (j) —–.
Ans: (a) depends (b) grows (c) up (d) the (e) is (f) an (g) plays (h) be (i) causes (j) capacity
41. The Eskimos are the most widely (a) —— group in the world still leading partly(b) —— way of life. They live in a (c) —— that spans more than 35,00 miles,(d) —— Greenland, the northern fringe of North America and a (e) —— of eastern Siberia. Eskimos are racially distinct from American Indians. They are most closely (f) —— to the Mongolian people of eastern Asia. The Eskimos (g) —— adapted themselves to cold, harsh (h) —— because of their highly inventive skill. They would make (i) —— from almost anything and everything. The most spend the winter in tents in a larger settlement and then (j) —— during summer.
Ans: (a) spread (b) aboriginal (c) region (d) including (e) part (f) related (g) successfully (h) climate (i) inventive (j) things
42. The plane touched down at Katmandu Tribhuvan airport. Masum was no more (a) ——. He was (b) ——- to see what was outside. The door of the plan (c) ——. Everybody stood in a (d) ——– and slowly started to walk towards the airport. The cabin crew (e) ——- every passenger for traveling with Bangladesh Biman. Neela , Becky and Masum took their hand (f) ——- and walked forward. They looked around with (g) —— and climbed down the steps. The (h) —— looked like a picture and the high (i) —— range in the background was something Masum had only read about in (j)-.
43. There are three important duties on earth. They (a) —— duty to God, duty to parents and duty to mankind. All these (b) —— duties are important because they(c) —— us to go a long way. Duty to God helps us to be favoured by God. If we are favoured by God, we can (d) —— in life. Duty to parents is (e) —— important because if our parents are (f) —— with us, God will help us to make our life smooth. Duty to mankind is not negligible. We (g) —— be the apple of God’s eyes by (h) —— this last duty. All the great men of the world tried to (i) —— all these duties. So we should (j) —— them to be great.
Ans: (a) are (b) three (c) help (d) succeeded (e) also (f) pleased (g) can (h) performing (i) perform (j) follow
44. Though Bangladesh is not a (a) —— country. Too many people live (b) ——, because most of its lands(c) —— fertile and plain. The monsoon causes (d) —— rainfall. The country is crisis-crossed by many (e) —–. The country looks very beautiful (f)—there are green trees and green crops (g) ——. Sometimes they are (h) ——. Then life becomes very difficult and (i) —— need boats for (j) ——.
Ans: (a) big (b) here (c) are (d) heavy (e) river (f) because (g) everywhere (h) under (i) people (j) movement
45. Through everybody (a) —— freedom (b) —— choice, thinking expressing opinion (c) —— working, he has a peaceful society. Every man (h) —— the social responsibility and (i) ——- every person of (j) ——- society obeys it. It has also helped him to (j) —— beautiful things. Ans: (a) loves (b) of (c) and (d) by (e) regulations (f) equal (g) people (h) has (i) if (j) our
46. Time and tide (a) —– for none. Time goes on and (b) —–. None can get it (c) —–. A man can regain his (d) —– money and health but cannot get back his lost time. Time once lost is lost for (e) ——. So, we (f) —– utilize our time. We must do our work (g) ——- if we put off our work for (h) ——. We may not get time to do it at all. There are some people (i) —— waste of time for nothing. They can (j) —– succeeded in life.
Ans: (a) waits (b) on (c) back (d) lost (e) ever (f) should (g) properly (h) tomorrow (i) who (j) not
47. Truth reigns in the world always. False wood may be (b) —— for the time being, it loses sooner or (c) ——-. Those who are engaged in preaching the truth are (d) —– by the people. Those who feel interested to tell lies can never shine in life. They may prosper seemingly, they cannot be (e) —— it for all the time. Socrates throughout his life, was (f) —— in preaching the truth. He tried to make people (g) —– and know what was (h) —— for them. He was troubled by the people .In spite of it, he never stopped (i) —– good things. We should (j) —— him.
48. Without effort there can be no (a) —— in life. Life (b) —— its interest if there is no struggle. Games become dull, of there is no (c) —— in them and if the result can be easily (d) ——. No matter we win the game of lose it the keener the contest, the greater the (e) ——. A victory is not a (f) —— triumph unless both sides are equally (g) ——-. Whether we like it or not, life is one kind of (h) —— competitive exam. It is not a bed of (i) ——-. Here only the fittest can (j) ——-.
Ans: (a) progress (b) losses (c) competition (d) seen (e) enjoyment (f) real (g) matched for (h) continuous (i) roses (j) survive
49. Everybody knows that food (a) —– is a crime. Adulterated food is poisonous and it (b) —– fatal diseases. People (c) —— this kind of food fall a (d) —— to liver diseases, cancer, kidney failure and so (e) —-. Some businessmen who are unscrupulous and running (f) ——money only do this (g) —– work. They thrive on the (h) —- of others .The citizens have to die a (i) —— death. Men, women, boys, girls, children and all are (j) —— killed without any reason.
50. Most libraries are (a) —— a systematic way that (b) —— it possible to (c) —— any book quite (d) —–. All of the books in a library are organized into (e) —— or classes and then arranged (f) —— within their class. There are two systems (g) —— organizing books in a library. One is called the (h) —— Decimal System and the other is known as the library of the (i) —— System. Most of the libraries (j) —— the Dewy Decimal System.
(a) arranged (b) makes (c) locate (d) easily (e) categories (f) alphabetically (g) for (h) dewy (i) congress (j) follow
51. Most of our country (a) —— from poverty. They can hardly keep body and (b) ——together. So, poverty is a great (c) —— in our country. However, this problem is a (d) —— of our own. Again there are many (e) —– who do not work (f) —— to change their condition. They are very averse to (g) ——. But they blame their lot. They do not know that industry is the (h) —— to success. People say that one idle brain is the (i) ——- workshop. So, we should work hard (j) ——- prosper in life.
Ans: (a) suffer (b) soul (c) problem (d) creation (e) people (f) hard (g) work (h) key (i) devil’s (j) to
52. A student (a) —— the habit of thinking about something by himself as no one has ever become great by (b) —— others blindly. When his teacher says something, he should (c) —— to understand it, he should (d) —— about it in his own way. If he does not (e) —— with the teacher on any point, he should boldly (f) —— so to the teacher. A good teacher will never be (g) —— at it. He will rather be glad to (h) —— such an intelligent student in his class. A student should think about the lesson and then (j) —— to memory if necessary.
Answer: (a) have (b) copying (c) try (d) think (e) agree (f) say (g) annoyed (h) have (i) understanding (j) keep
53. Road accidents are daily (a) —— in modern city life. Every year thousands of people die and many more are (b) —— in road accidents. So steps to check road accidents need top (c) ——. The increasing volumes of traffic should be (d) ——. New roads should be (e) —— in cities and towns. Reckless driving should be dealt with (f) —— punishment. Defective vehicles must not be (g) —— to ply on the roads. Driving license should be given (h) —— of specific (i) —— of driving (j) ——.
54. Environment plays a (a) —— role in our life. To make our surrounding suitable there is no (b) —— of planting trees. Tree plantation provides fruits, woods, medicine and (c) ——. For the (d) —— of trees, cultivable land becomes barren. The source of rain is (e) ——. As trees help to (f) —— the balance of our environment. We should (g) —— all to plant more trees. If one cuts (h) ——, he should plant two. Trees are also the (i) —— of income. So we must be (j) —— to plan more and more tree.
55. Nature has given her (a) —— to us more generously (b) —— many other countries of the world. Think about out (c) ——. It is soft and (d) ——. Out farmers who have (e) —— simple handmade tools can (f) —— dig, plough and prepare the soil with them. Whereas (g) —— which is (h) —— and rocky cannot be so easily dug, ploughed and (i) —— we have a great natural advantages too. We can (j) —— most of our lands.
Answer: (a) given (b) than (c) land (d) fertile (e) only (f) easily (g) soil (h) hard (i) prepared (j) cultivate
56. War is a (a) —— to human civilization. In older days war was (b) —— to be warriors. But today all people being civilians have to suffer the (c) —— of war. Nobody can (d) —— from the bombers of the (e) ——. Rich cities, fields (f) —— with green corns and beautiful places are (g) —— to ruins. Even the (h) —— children have to die as a (i) ——. Men women, boys, girl, children all are killed without any (j) —–.
Answer: (a) curse (b) confined (c) curse (d) escape (e) enemy (f) fill (g) lead (h) innocent (i) war (j) reason
57. Civility means polite (a) —— or modesty. It also (b) —— courteous manner. It is a great virtue (c) —— a man. To be well behaved or good manner we (d) —— spend money or wealth. We have to (e) —— willingness to attain civility. We have to (f) —— some code of conduct and (g) —— norms of etiquette of the society. It (h) —— varies from society to society. However one has to (i) —— good manners in one’s character from an early age. No expenditure (j) —— consciousness is required.
Answer: (a) behavior (b) means (c) in (d) need not (e) have (f) follow (g) learn (h) sometimes (i) form (j) but
58. The (a) —— of a nation is not an easy matter. It (b) —— upon the selfless and noble (c) —— of some worthy sons of the (d) ——. They worthy sons of the (d) ——. They work without rest and often (e) —— praise. While most of the (f) —— are busy with their (g) —— name and comfort, these (h) —— persons live and die to (i) —— the life of their fellow (j) —— richer and happier.
Ans: (a) progress (b) depends (c) deeds (d) country (e) ignores (f) persons (g) own (h) dedicated (i) make (j) easier
59. Illiteracy is an (a) —— to progress. A nation cannot (b) —— if most of its people are illiterate. The (c) —— do not know about their own life. So we should (d) —— our mentality. We should (e) —— away illiteracy and poverty from the (f) —— in this regards the government should take proper steps to (g) —— the problem. The government as well as the (h) —— people should (i) —— to spreads the light of education. If we work together. Illiteracy will not (j) —— stay.
Ans: (a) obstacle (b) prosper (c) illiterate (d) change (e) drive (f) from (g) proper (h) literate (i) come (j) long
60. Student life is the golden season of life. This is the time when we should prepare ourselves for future. The very habits formed in the student life influenced the later phases of life. Student should have a (a) —– life. Right (b) —– the student life they (c) —— be careful in (d) —— discipline. It is true that (e) —— success of life depends (f) —— discipline and perseverance. He (g) —— does not have (h) —— discipline in life cannot succeed (i) —– where in life. So, everybody should be (j) —— about it.
Answer: (a) planned (b) from (c) should (d) maintaining (e) real (f) on (g) who (h) followed (i) any (j) car
61. Hospitality has long (a) —— a part of our culture in Bangladesh. (b) —— many other things (c) —— changing now. People are still quite polite and friendly (d) —— foreigners. They like (e) —— to foreigners even if they (f) —— not been introduced. It is quiet common for Bangladeshis to (g) —— personal questions about family, jobs and income which visitors from (h) —— might find awkward. However, it should be (i) —— that no harm is (j) —— by such questions.
Ans: (a) been (b) though (c) are (d) with (e) talking (f) had (g) ask (h) overseas (i) known (j) done
62. Bangladesh (a) —— in the active Earthquake (b) —–. It is a (c) —— natural disaster. It has occurred in the country (d) —— times during recent years. If a (e) —— earthquake occurs in Dhaka city (f) —— will happen unthinkable. So, experts are paying more (g) —— to the issue of earthquakes in (h) —— times. People should be (i) —— and careful about earthquake in the capital city to (j) —— the loss of it occurs.
63. As mothers, women play an important (a) —— in building the character of their children. There is a proverb in (b) —— that the hand that rocks the (c) —— rules the world. The role of women in making a home (d) —— is great (e) —— as mothers (f) ——, as wives they expert great influence in the family. If a wife is properly (g) —— she can manages the family (h) —— A good housewife is an (i) —— She (j) —— the burden of her husband.
Ans: (a) role (b) fact (c) cradle (d) happy (e) wives (f) family (g) educated (h) well (i) ideal (j) shares