English Second Paper Model Test for JSC 2016
Full Marks: 50 Time: 2 Hours
Part A: Grammar
1. Fill in the gaps of the following text with appropriate articles. Put a cross for zero article. 0.5×6=03
(a)___ great ship Titanic, sailed for New Work from Southampton on April 1912. At that time she was (b)___ largest ship. The tragic sinking of this great (c)___ liner will always be remembered for she went down on her first voyage. Four days after sailing out, while it was sailing across the icy (d)___ waters of (e)___ North Atlantic, (f)___ huge ice berg was suddenly spotted by the look out.
2. Fill in the blanks of the following text with prepositions. 0.5×6=03
In the long run a sinner atones (a)___ his sin because he knows that everyone will have to account (b)___ God (c)___ his/her deeds. So when a sinner becomes really repentant, he/she is seen devoted (d)___ God. Sometimes he/she is seen absorbed (e)___ deep meditation. He seeks blessing (f)___ the Almighty.
3. Make four sentences from the substitution table 1×4=04
|There||loved||nine years old.|
|had||A widow in a certain village of Bustam.|
4. Change the following passage into indirect speeches. 04
Once I asked a sweet little girl, “What is your mother’s name?” She replied cleverly, “I know my mother’s name but I won’t tell you that.” I said, “What a clever girl you are!” “I don’t tell my mother’s name to anybody whom I don’t know,” she spoke with an air of confidence.
5. Change the following sentences as directed in the brackets. 1×5=5
a) Gold is the most precious metal. (Positive) b) It is brought by the wealthy persons. (Active) c) Every woman likes it. (Negative) d) The price of gold is increasing day by day. (Interrogative) e) Who does not like gold? (Affirmative)
6. Rewrite the following passage using capitalization and punctuation. 0.5×6=03
how much do you want said the mayor a thousand guilders said the pied piper all right said the mayor well pay you a thousand guilders when will you set to work now replied the pied piper
7. Fill in the gaps used in the following text by adding suffix, prefix or both with the root words underlined in the text. 0.5×8=04
The true aim of education is the harmonious (a) develop of body, mind and soul. But (b) book knowledge is (c) sufficient in this regard. Without (d) curricular activities the full blooming of body, mind and soul is (e) possible. Co-curricular activities indicate debate, publication of magazine, (f) culture activities and so on. Co-curricular activities are part and parcel for the full (g) flourish of the talents of the students. They also teach students (h) modest, diligence, politeness etc.
8. Complete the following text with suitable verbs in the box with their right form. 0.5×8=04
We (a) ___ in an age of science. We can see the wonders of science around us. Science (b) ___ our life easy and comfortable. We (c) ___ not of our modern life without science. Science (d) ___ up the distant parts of the world. Telephone, telex, fax, wireless, telegram (e) ___ great wonders. They (f) ___ the world closer to us. We can (g) ___ news from one corner of the world to other with a moment. They (h) ___ space.
Section – B: Composition
9. Suppose you are a student of Nurpur High School and you school is one of the best schools in your town but there is no computer club in your school. Now write an application to the headmaster for setting up a computer club. 08
10. Write a composition on ‘Duties of a student’ in 250 words 12