SSC Model Test – 2017 (English 2nd Paper)
Full Marks: 100 Time: 2:30 Hours
Part A: Grammar
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
Computer is one of (a) —- greatest inventions of modern science. It has now become (b) —- essential part of modern life. It has (c) —- benefited us. Computers are capable (d) —- doing extremely complicated work. It can solve the most complex mathematical (e) —-. It also performs many operations (f) —- once and the same time without any confusion. It can also put thousands of unrelated facts (g) —- order. It works accurately and (h) —- high speeds. In a few minutes a computer can perform calculations (i) —- trained mathematicians would need years to (j) —-.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words 0.5×10=05
The Eiffel Tower was named (a) —- Gustave Eiffel, a Frenchman who built (b) —- tower. He graduated from the Central School of Engineering in Paris and went to work for a railway (c) —- company. For years he made plan (d) —- plan of dams, factories, stations and structures of great size. All (e) —- Europe engineers copied them. In the middle of 1880s a group of French industrialists persuaded the government to organize (f) —- World’s Fair (g) —- Paris. Gustave Eiffel proposed a 989-foot tower of iron as symbol of the (h) —-. Forty engineers and designers under Eiffel’s (i) —- worked for two years. It was (j) —- highest structure yet made by man.
3. Make five sentences using parts of sentence from each column of the table below. 1×5=05
|Paper||is made||for a moment without paper|
|It||is named||our best daily companion|
|We||is||from straw, wood, grass etc.|
|Paper||cannot do||from the word papyrus|
|the part and parcel of modern life|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=05
Science (a) —– simply miracle. It (b) —– about a change over the face of the globe. It (c) —– man to control the forces of nature and employ them to his service. With the help of science we can now (d) —– messages across the seas, fly in the air like the winged bird. Modern science may (e) —– to Aladin’s magic lamp. Cinema, radio, television electric fan and watch (f) —– all the gifts of modern science. The cinema (g) —– the moving and talking pictures of men and women. It (h) —– a great influence in our daily life. The radio (i) —– us to listen to the talks of people living hundreds of miles away from us across seas and mountains. The television (j) —– pictures seen through the wireless.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 05
“Are you ill?” he said cordially. “No” I said. “Then why are you sitting when all others are working? Go out of once and give them a hand,” he said.
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
a) Terrorism is a devastating phenomenon in the modern world. (Exclamatory) b) At present it is increasing alarmingly. (Interrogative) c) Who is not now at the threat of violence? (Assertive) d) Nothing is as disastrous as terrorism. (Comparative) e) It is one of the most corrosive problems of the modern world. (Positive) f) A terrorist is hated by people. (Active) g) Though there is law to punish the terrorists, they are not properly applied. (Compound) h) By applying the law properly, we can get rid of terrorism. (Complex) i) What a hellish life a terrorist lead! (Assertive) j) All should avoid the killers of mankind. (Passive)
7. Complete the sentence. 1×5=5
a) Since man is a social being, ———-. b) He cannot do whatever ———-. c) If he wants to enjoy peace, ———-. d) If he does not follow the social rules, ———-. e) If he respects others, ———-.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5×10=5
The aim of (a) educated is to make a man fully equipped to be (b) use to himself and to society. A (c) true educated person should be self-reliant with regard to his (d) person needs. He should be well-mannered, (e) thought, sympathetic and co-operative. He should be (f) truth, honest, punctual and (g) duty. Punctuality is a virtue that makes a nation (h) prosper. An educated person tries to (i) move the sufferings of his countrymen. He also helps others in attaining (j) self-reliant.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
Nazneen’s examinations are close at hand, —–?
She needs to study a lot, —— ?
Her elder sister got married last month, —— ?
Moreover, her aunt has just had a new born baby, —— ?
He screams all the time, —— ?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1×5=5
The rapid growth of population must be controlled. (a) —– all sorts of attempts to solve food problem will fail. (b) —– we have to increase our food production very rapidly. We may mostly solve our food problem by changing our traditional food habit. (c) —– we can take potato instead of rice. (d) —– it is high time we changed our eating habit. (e) —– knowledge of nutritive value of food can help to solve our food problem with a great extent.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 05
how dare you wake me up the lion roared I shall kill you for that please let me go the mouse cried I did not mean to wake you up
12. Suppose, Nurpur High School, a reputed educational institution in the country will recruit a librarian. You are interested to apply for the post. Now write a CV with cover letter for the post. 10
13. Write an application to the UNO for sinking up a tube well. 08
14. Write a Paragraph on “Your School Library” 10
15. Write a Composition on “Value of Time” 12
Prepared by: Mahbub Murad (Lecturer of English)