1. Some expressions on beginning
• Thank you for your letter which I received yesterday.
• I was pleasantly surprised to hear from you.
• It was wonderful to hear from you after so long.
• Thank you for your letter. I was pleased to hear that you are in good health.
• It was really nice hearing from you. I am glad that you like your new school.
• I hope this letter finds you in the pink (of health).
• Thank you for the lovely birthday card.
Thank you/Many thanks for your (recent/last) letter/postcard.
It was good/nice to hear from you recently
I’m sorry I haven’t written/been in touch for such a long time.
It’s ages since I’ve heard from you. I hope you’re/you and your family are well
2. Some expressions on ending
• I promise to write to you soon.
• I hope you will reply soon.
• Give my best wishes to your parents.
• I am looking forward to seeing you.
• I look forward to hearing from you.
• Do write and tell me how you are progressing.
• Do write soon
3.Some expressions on Referring to their news
Great news about …
Glad to hear that …
Sorry to hear about …
4. Some expressions on Giving news
Listen, did I tell you about …?
You’ll never believe what …
Oh,and another thing …
This is just to let you know that …
I thought you might be interested to hear about/know that …
By the way, have you heard about/did you know that …
5. Some expressions on Apologing
I’m writing to apologise for …..
I’m really sorry that I forgot to…..
6. Some expressions on Invitations
I’m/We’re having a party on ..(date)….and I/we hope you’ll be able to come.
Would you like to come/go to see ‘Room With a View’ with me at the weekend.
I was wondering if you’d like to go to the theatre/come on holiday with us?
Could you let me/us know if you can come/you’d like to join us?
Thank you vary much for your invitation. I’d love to come.
Thank you for asking/inviting me to … but I’m afraid I won’t be able to …
7. Some expressions on Requests
I’m writing to ask for your help/you (if you could do me) a favour.
I wonder if/I was wondering if you could help me/do me a favour.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but could you (possibly) …?
I’d be very/really/terribly grateful if you could …
8.Some expressions on saying Thank you / Congratulations / Good Luck
I’m writing to thank you for your hospitality/the wonderful present.
It was so kind of you to invite me to stay with you.
I really appreciated all your help/advice.
Congratulations!on passing your ……
I wish you good luck/Good luck in/with your exams/your driving test/your interview.
Don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll do well/pass.
Do be on time, won’t you, and don’t forget to …
9. Some expressions on Making suggestions and recommend
Why don’t you …?
Maybe you could …?
How about …?
You can’t leave New York without doing …………..
I’m sure you will enjoy doing ….something…. If you like, we can …
Do visit somewhere Don’t forget to do ……………