Purposes of Education:
As education is a long process and so its purposes are so many that we cannot explain it in a single idea. However, I feel the following basic aims would be at its core:
- To give all learners the basic skills to access and drive their own education.
- To develop the softer, non-subject life skills needed to succeed.
- To impart powerful subject knowledge (and by this we mean the facts, concepts and procedural knowledge needed to continue to take that subject further and progress in it)
- To enlighten the individuals.
- To enlarge his outlook.
- To differentiate between right and wrong.
- To prepare children for citizenship
- To cultivate a skilled workforce
- To teach cultural literacy
- To help students become critical thinkers
- To help students compete in a global marketplace
- To know thyself
- To prepare for the future life
- To make plan and carry out investigations
- To obtain, evaluate, and communicate information
Besides them, education always gives us a shared understanding of what is valued, where our efforts should be focused, and whether we are making progress or not. Thus an individual, receiving education, can enlighten his/her personal, family, social and national life.