Pronoun References and Modifiers for HSC 2017
Identify the unclear pronoun references in the following paragraph. Where necessary, rewrite the sentences so that all pronoun references are clear: 1×5×3=15
1. One day a cowboy was tending their cows in the field. Many wolves lived in the forest. The cowboy would often cry out ‘Wolf! Wolf!’ in fun. The farmers working in the field heard his cries and thought that he had been really attacked by them. So, they all rushed to the spot to save the cowboy. But their surprise, they found no wolf there. Seeing them the boy began to laugh at them. He played the same trick for several times and the men were befooled. So, they became very angry. One day a wolf really came and attacked the cows. Now the cowboy cried out in fear but one time nobody came to help him. The wolf first killed them and at last it killed the boy.
2. The teacher told his students that he liked them who were disciplined and punctual. Then he added that each of the students should complete their homework regularly. At last, he said that if you did not work regularly, your result would not be good. If they needed, I would guide them.
3. One day a man came into a wood with an axe in its hand and begged all the trees to give him a small branch which it wanted for a particular purpose. There were good natured trees and gave him one of its branches. What the man did but fixed them into the axe head and soon set to work cutting down tree after tree.
Read the following text and use modifiers as directed in the blank spaces: 1×5×3=15
1. It is said that the other name of (a) —— (use an adjective to pre-modify the noun) water is life. Because by drinking it we quench (b) —— (possessive to pre-modify the noun) thirst. So, we need pure water (c) —— (post-modify the verb using an infinitive) on the earth. But (d) —— (pre-modify the noun) water is life killing. By drinking contaminated water, we suffer from (e) —— (use quantifier to pre-modify the noun) diseases. We may (f) —— (pre-modify the verb) face (g) —— (pre-modify the noun) death by drinking contaminated water. We are responsible for (h) —— (use noun adjective to modify the noun) pollution. Waste materials from mills and factories are thrown here and there. Besides latrines (i) —— (use present participle to post-modify the noun) on ponds and rivers cause water pollution. So, (j) —— (pre-modify the noun) awareness should be raised to stop water pollution.
2. Education (a) —— (use appositive to post-modify the noun) is essential for development. We can improve (b) —— (possessive to pre-modify the noun) mind. An (c) —— (adjective to pre-modify the noun) person has the ability (d) —— (infinitive phrase). One can refine one’s (adverb to sensibility (e) —— (present participle phrase). Actually, the educated are able to bring about (f) —— (pre-modify the noun) development. On the other hand, an (g) —— (pre-modify the noun) person (h) —— modify the verb) lag behind. So, the educated should come forward (i) —— (prepositional phrase) to educate all in the society to unload (j) —— (use determiner) owes to the country.
3. Our people fought (a) —— (post-modify the verb with an adverb) in our liberation war. Independence is our (b) —— (pre-modify the noun with a phrase) need. We tried to live (c) —— (post-modify the verb with adverb) with the Pakistanis. But they were (d) —— (use an adjective) to us. They behaved (e) —— (use an adverb). (f) (use a participle) no way of settlement, we took up arms. India had reason enough (g) —— (use an infinitive phrase to post-modify the adverb) us. At last, the (h) —— (pre-modify the noun) force won over Pakistani. We started living (i) —— (post- modify the verb by an adverb). We must speak (j) —— (post- modify the verb by an adverb) of our independence.
Prepared by: Mahbub Murad (Lecturer of English)