JUNIOR SCHOOL CERTIFICATE EXAMINATION ( JSC ) – 2017
Narration/ Speech Changing
Changing of some words in Indirect:
This – That, These – Those, Here – There, Ago – Before, Come – Go, (Note: go cannot be come)
Thus – so, Hither – thither, Today – that day, Tomorrow – the next day/the following day, Yesterday- the previous day, Last month – the previous month, Tonight –that night, Last night – the previous night, Next week –the following week, Now- then
*Example: He said, “I am going now.” Indirect: He said that he was going than.
Changing Speech: ( Interrogative Sentence)
(YES/NO QUESTIONS )
*says to = asks, said to = asked, ( if/whether is used as relative pronoun ), *Changing of tenses of reported speeches is as same as Assertive Sentence.
- Preetom said to his sister,” Will you go to school?”
Indirect: Pretom asked his sister if she would go to school.
- The teacher said to the student, “Are you reading book now?”
Indirect: The teacher asked the student if he was reading book then.
- The girl said to her sister, “Have you taken my pen?”
Indirect: The girl asked her sister if she(s) had taken her(g)pen.
- Runa said to Sumi,”Will you meet me tomorrow?
Indirect: Runa said to0 Sumi if she(s) would meet her(R) the next day.
( WH-QUESTIONS )
*says to=asks, said to = asked, WH-words are used as the relative pronoun. *Changing of tenses of reported speeches is as same as Assertive Sentence.
- Shanta said to her father, “What are you doing?”
Indirect: Shanta asked her father what(wo) she was doing.
*( WH-Q. should be changed into Assertive in the indirect speech. )
- He said to me ,”Where do you live?” Indirect: He asked me where I lived.
- The teacher said to the student, ”Why are you making a noise?”
Indirect: The teacher asked the student why they were making a noise.
4.the boy said to Mr. Bari,”what is that boat carring, sir?
Indirect: The student politely asked Mr. Bari what that boat was carring.
SKILLS TEST (INTERROGATIVE)
*Change the following sentences into Indirect.
1.Anik said to us “Will you listen to such a fool?” 2.You said to her,”How have you done the
work?” 3.I said to him, “Do you teach the boy? 4.Father said to him “When will you return?
- The teacher said to me ,”Do you known this story?”6. NAsima said to her father, “Will you
stay here?” 7.He said to us,”Did you go the school yesterday?”