Fill in the blanks with suitable preposition.
6. You know that Bangladesh is a tropical country. It has a moderate climate. The climate is greatly influenced (a) — the monsoon which is a seasonal wind, it blows (b) — from the Bay of Bengal. It is from south west (c) — our country and parts of India from April to October. Crops are damaged. House and trees are wiped (d) — . Man and property are washed (e) —.
Answer – 6: a) by b) out c) of d) out e) away.
7. The Empire State Building is located (a) — New York in the USA. It is much taller (b) — the Eiffel Tower. It was 1250 feet tall during its inauguration by president Hoover Cleveland in 1931. Then in 1951 a TV transmission tower was added (c) — radio and TV broadcast. Thus the tower added another 222 feet (d) — its height and this brought on the total height of 1472 feet. The 102 storied Empire State Building remained the world’s tallest skyscraper (e) — 1971. But now it is challenged by some more high-rise buildings.
Answer – 7: a) at b) than c) for d) to e) till.
8. All know that smoking is injurious (a) — health. But those who smoke do not abstain (b) — smoking. They are not careful (c) — their health. Finally the fall (d) — many diseases. It is hoped that they will give (e) — smoking.
Answer – 8: a) to b) from c) of/about d) in e) up
9. Freedom is a birth right (a) — every human being. Similarly every nation has the right (b) — be independent. No nation can prosper (c) — independence. Independence gives proper scope (d) — the development of a nation. Struggle for independence has been going on (e) — many countries of the world.
Answer – 9: a) of b) to c) without d) for e) in
10. Man has an unquenchable thirst (a) — knowledge. He is never satisfied (b) — what has known and seen. The curiosity to know more, coupled (c) — the indomitable spirit (d) — adventure has inspired him to undertake and carry out dangerous tasks. It eventually resulted (e) — epoch-making discoveries.
Answer – 10: a) for b) with c) with d) of e) in