Model Test: English
Time: 2 hours. Full Marks : 100
Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions (1-3).
Next day was Lima’s birthday. ‘What would you like to have, Lima, on your birthday?’ mother asked. ‘I would like to have a pet bird,’ Lima said. ‘What bird would you like?’ asked mother. ‘I think I would like a bird that talks,’ Lima answered.
Next morning Lima had a bird in a cage. Father got it for her from a bird shop. It was a parrot. It had green feathers and a red beak. ‘It’s beautiful, I’m so happy. Thank you mother. Thank you father,’ said Lima. She called her ‘Mimi’. Mimi flew from here to there in the house. She liked to be near Lima. Every morning she had a bath. She jumped into the tub. Her wings got wet. Then she hopped onto the bar of the cage. Mother put her food in the cage. But she liked to have it with Lima. She talked to her a lot. Mimi was learning to talk. She called Lima by name. They put her into the cage when they went out. It made her very sad when they did that. She made a lot of noise when they came back. Lima was very fond of her.
1. Multiple Choice Questions
Fill in the gaps with appropriate words from the bracket. 1×5=5
(a) Next day was the day when Lima — . (born /was born/birthday)
(b) Lima wanted to have a bird that — (flies/ talks/ sings)
(c) Mimi was learning to —.(act/ swim/ talk)
(d) Lima — put the bird in a cage. (sometimes/ always/ never)
(e) Lima’s father bought the bird from a — shop. (stationary/ bird/ animal)
2. Fill in the blanks with the words from the text. 1×5=5
(a) Lima — talking birds.
(b) The bird was a —.
(c) Mimi — to be near Lima.
(d) Mimi — talk.
(e) The bird had red beak and — feathers.
3. Answer the questions. 3×5=15
(a) What did Lima’s mother ask her?
(b) What kind of bird did Lima like?
(c) Why did Mimi make a lot of noise?
(d) Why was Mimi upset when Lima and her family went out?
(e) What did Mimi dislike?
4. Write the poem ‘At The Zoo.’ 10
5. Make sentences with the following words (any five): 1×5=5
|AdnanHeHis motherHis father||feltunderstoodtold himthought||that||someone was following him.his grandmother fell ill.He should go to the hospital to look after her.he should go to school on time.the sound would stop just then.the ghost had cut off electricity.|
6. Match the words with their similar meaning 1×5=5
|Main word||Similar word|
7. Re-write the following passage using capital letters and punctuation marks where necessary. 10
on april 16 we celebrated bangla new year at our school the new years day was on april 14 but it was a holiday and the next day was friday so we celebrated the day in our school on sunday april 16.
8. Re-write the sentences to make questions and answer them (any five). 10
9. Read the following situation. Make a request dialogue and response. Use ‘would’ or ‘could’. 10
You want your teacher to tell you about learning English.
10. Re-write the following text with the correct forms of verb in the bracket. 5
The cap-seller — (become) very worried. He — (know) what to do. Suddenly he — (remember) that monkeys like to imitate. So he took off his own cap and — (throw) it on the ground. The monkeys saw it. They also threw their caps on the ground. The cap-seller — (miss) the chance.
11. Write a paragraph on ‘Your Country’. 10
Include the answers of the following questions in your paragraph.
(a) What is the name of your country? (b) When it became independent? (c) What is its capital? (d) What type of country is it? (e) What is the name of the longest sea beach in the world?
12. Suppose you are Altaf. Write a letter to your friend Asad inviting him to join a picnic. 10