1. Complete the passage with suitable verbs from the list. Put them in the correct tense. Use negative where necessary. 1×5=5
Price of essentials is such a crucial factor that it directly (a) _____ the life and living of the majority people. The measures so far (b) _____ by the government (c) _____ appreciation from the people. But it is being replaced by despair as the majority of the people have been (d) _____
under the crushing burden of (e) _____ prices.
2. Read the following passage and fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition. 1×5=5
You know that smoking is not only a bad habit but also injurious (a) _____ health. A puff (b) _____ cigarette contains millions of particles which may cause cancer, blood pleasure, loss eye-sight. Nicotine in tobacco is very dangerous (c) _____ your health. Your teeth and your fingers will be affected. You will suffer (d) _____ lack of oxygen in your blood resulting (e) _____ respiration troubles.
3. Use articles where necessary. Put a cross (´) where an article is needed. 5
Hamlet, (a) _____ living person, was (b) _____ prince of Denmark. He was (c) _____ greatly shocked when his father was murdered and his mother hastily married his uncle clouds, who become (d) _____ King of Denmark. He expressed his grief by saying that even (e) _____ animal of two reasons would have mourned longer. He grieved over these (f) _____ sad events day after day. (g) _____ dreadful suspicion filled his mind. He had been told that while his father was sleeping in his garden he had from (h) _____ bite of (i) ______
Snake was (j) _____ Claudius.
4. Fill in the blanks with suitable linking words from the list. 1×5=5
It is the law of God (a) _____ no danger comes without giving its first warming. It is better to take preparation (c) _____ symptoms of a danger first appear. It may be prevented (d) _____ little care taken. This little care will save from danger. So prevention is a far easier (e) _____less costly task than care.
5. Rewrite the following in reported speech. 1×5=5
The boy said to the teacher, “Sir I shall be much obliged if you will kindly lend me the book you praised highly in the classroom yesterday.” The teacher said, “ I am very glade to know that you are eager to read this book. You are welcomed to any of my books that you like.”
6. Read the following passage and transform the underlined sentences as directed in brackets. 1×5=5
(a) Everybody believes that education is the backbone of the nation. (simple).
(b) No nation can prosper neglecting education (complex). (c) It is more powerful than anything else (superlative) (d) Only education gives us the light of knowledge (negative) (e) So everybody should realize it and act according to it (passive)
7. Add tag question to the following questions: 1×5=5
a) Do sit down, ______ ?
b) The jury gave different opinions, ______ ?
c) He hardly studies, ______?
d) Have a cup of tea, ______?
e) That he is honest is known to me, _____?
08. Complete the following sentences: 1×5=5
(a) Do you know _____?
(b) Unless you assist him _____.
(c) The train had left before _____.
(d) I don’t know what _____.
(e) Had I been here ______.
9. Write the following Paragraph on the basis of questions on
“Load shedding” 10
What is load shedding?
(a) Why does it occurs?
(b) What is the effect of Load shedding?
(c) How can we come out from it?
Or, Write a paragraph on your visit to a book fair.
10. Write a composition from the following questions. 15
(a) Your childhood memories
(b) Tree Plantation
(c) The person you like most.
11. Write an application to your headmaster/Headmistress for a ‘seat in the hostel’ mentioning the causes of your father transfer. 10
12. Write the dialogue between you and your friend on your preparation for the “ensuing SSC examination.” 10
Or, Write the summary of the following passage..
Sincerity is the root of success of all works. One can go a long way if one does anything with sincerity, The rich people are sincere to their work and they are capable of making anything a success. The great men are also sincere because they know that sincerity is the key-stone to success. Those who do not follow the rules of sincerity can never go a long way in the world. The poor are not sometimes sincere and they lag behind. If they do not know the benefit of sincerity, they cannot make a good use of it. Sincerity is the tonic to any work because it helps the work to be done properly. If any work is not done properly, one will never get good output from it. So we should be sincere in every walk of life. Sincerity does not mean only to do any work properly it also means dutifulness, honesty and modesty. As a result, they do not do their work properly and it does not give good output to them. They are becoming spiritless observing their poor output. They become their lot but do not think that they are not sincere to their work. It is we who are responsible for our poor condition. If we are aware of this fact, we can easily be sincere to our work.
13. Read the following outlines and develop them into a complete story. Give a suitable title to your story. 15
Rahim is a meritorious and diligent boy whose father is very poor. But he wants to be …………………………………