Fill in the blanks with appropriate preposition
1. A pious man is absorbed (a) ____meditation. He has firm faith (b) _____the Almighty. He abides (c) _____the rules of religion. He clings (d) ______ his faith. He knows that man is accountable to the Almighty (e) ________his action. So, he leads his life according to religion. He is not angry (f) _____anybody.
Answer: (a) in; (b) in; (c) by; (d) to; (e) for; (f) with.
2. A merchant was riding horse (a) _______a fair. He had (b)______ him a large bag (c)______ money. It rained heavily and the good man was wet (d)_______and through. He was there at dissatisfied and complained that God had given him such a bad weather (e) ______his journey. His road led him (f) ________a dense forest.
Answer: (a) in, (b) with, (c) of, (d) through, (e) for, (f) through.
3. Our postmaster belonged (a) _______Calcutta. He felt like a fish (h) ______water in this remote village. His office was (c) ______a dark thatched shed, not far (d) ________ a green slimy pond surrounded (e) ________all sides (f) _______a dense growth.
Answer: (a) to; (b) out of, (c) in; (d) from; (e) on; (f) by.
4. I hope you are all right. What are you going to do (a) _______ the next autumn vacation? Please come (b) _______ my village. I invite you to pass a few days (c) ________ me in my village home. I hope you will have a jolly-good time here. My village is (d) ______ the bank of a small river which is full (e) ______ the brim (f) _____the rainy season.
Answer: (a) in; (b) to; (c) with; (d) on; (e) to; (f) in.
5. The Olympic Games were named (a) _______ the town of Olympia in Greece. In those days Greece was divided (b) _______ many cities. They used to fight (c) ________ themselves. A man named Iphitos was concerned (d) _______such wasteful conflict. He hit (e) _______ a plan to set up peace (f) ______ the country. His plan worked well.
Answer: (a) after; (b) into; (c) among; (d) about; (e) upon, (f) in.
6. A good student is fond (a) ______books. He adheres (b) _______ his studies. He always tries to cut a brilliant figure (c) ________ the examination. He never deviates (d) _______his duties (e) _______ success depends (f) _______ hard work.
Answer: (a) of; (b) to; (c) in; (d) from; (e) because; (f) on.
7. A man accustomed (a) _______hard work, is not afraid (b) ______ any difficulties. He is worthy (c) ______praise (d) ______his hard work. He is never indifferent (e) ______success. He knows that the idle suffer (f) _____the long run.
Answer: (a) to; (b) of; (c) of; (d) for; (e) of; (f) in.
8. Amal is a good boy. He gets (a) ______early (b) ______the morning. He performs his duty (c) ______time. Everyday he goes (d) ______school. He listens (e) ____his teachers. He deals well (f) ______his friends.
Answer: (a) up; (b) in; (c) in; (d) to; (e) to; (f) with.
9. A Citizen enjoys a lot of rights (a) ______times of peace. But sometimes he has to give (b) ______some of his rights and privileges voluntarily in order (c) _______ keep the independence of his country secure. When his country is (d) _____ war his only duty is to switch (e) _______ all his efforts (f) _______ the defense of his country.
Answer: (a) in, (b) up, (c) to, (d) in, (e) over, (f) to.
10. The secret of success in life lies (a) ______ the proper use of time. Many of us are opt (b) _______ forget that every moment is precious. We do not know when we shall be called (c) ______ from this world by death. During this limited period we have (d)_______build (e)_______ our body and mind and apply them (f)________useful activities.
Answer: (a) in, (b) to, (c) in, (d) to; (e) up, (f) for.
11. The Eiffel Tower was named (a) ______ Gustave Eiffel, a Frenchman. He was born (b) ______ a prosperous family in 1832. He graduated (c) ______the Central School (d) _________Engineering (e) _______Paris. Then he went to work (f) ______a railway construction company.
Answer: (a) after, (b) in; (c). from; (d) of (e) in; (f) for.
12. A good students is never indifferent (a) _____ his career. He knows well that success lies (b) _______ hard work. (c) _______, he always absorbers (d) ______ deep studies. Nothing can prevent him (e) ________ working hard. His hard work and sincerity result (f) ______ ultimate success.
Answer: (a) to; (b) in; (c) So; (d) in; (e) from; (f) in.
13. Charity is a virtue that elevates human nature. A person should be endowed (a)______ this virtue. It leads people to think favorably (b) _______their fellowmen and do them good. Everybody should practice this habit (c)______ the very childhood. The right use of it brings happiness (d)_____earth. It is a form (e)_______self sacrifice (f)_____which society cannot exist.
Answer: a) with; (b) about; (c) from; (d) to; (e) of; (f) without.
14. Man has an unquenchable thirst (a) _______knowledge. He is never satisfied (b) ______what he has known and seen. For this, he set out (c) _________ traveling. But it needs a lot of money and patience. The people (d) _________developed countries are fit (e) _______ it. So, they are capable (f) ______ earning practical knowledge.
Answer: (a) for; (b) with; (c) for; (d) of; (e) for; (f) of.
15. Everyone desires (a) ________ wealth. But a few attain it. Some people hanker (b) _______ riches. Some are content (c) ________ what they have. True happiness lies (d) ________ contentment. It is high time we gave (e) ______ the habit (f) ______covetousness.
Answer: (a) for; (b) after; (c) with; (d) in; (e) up; (f) of.
16. A diary is a record (a) ________ daily events, thoughts and feelings. Many things happen (b) _______life. We cannot keep all of them (c) _______memory. A complete diary is a life story (d) ______brief. We should (e) _______develop the habit (f) _______writing a diary.
Answer:(a) of; (b) in; (c) in; (d) in; (e) always; (f) of
17. Yesterday a college student was run (a) ______by a car. The student was crossing the road and walking (b) ______Dhaka College rushed (c) _____the spot. The student was taken (d) ________Dhaka Medical College Hospital. The doctors and the nurses came (e)_____to help the student. A medical board was formed headed (f) ______ Dr. Abdul Karim.
Answer: (a) over; (b) towards; (c) on; (d) to; (e) forward-, by.
18. (a) __________ a city life has many advantages; a city dweller sometimes gets tired (b) ________ it. He cannot attend the office and other places (c) ________time because (d) _______ traffic jams. The air in the city is polluted (e) ______ smoke and dust. Besides, He is always busy (f) ____a lot of commitments.
Answer: (a) Although; (b) of; (c) in; (d) of; (e) by; (f) with.
19. Mr. Abdullah was a school teacher. He was very popular (a) ________ his students. The students had easy access (b) __________ his room. (c) ______the students entered (d) ______ his room, they found his absorbed (e) _______ studies. He was proficient (f) _______ English.
Answer: (a) with; (b) to; (c) Whenever; (d) into; (e) in; (f) in.
20. Today man has been suffering (a) _______ various diseases. And there is no remedy (b) ________ some fatal diseases. So man is subject (c) _______decay and death. One day he will depart (d) _______ this world. Here he cannot live (e) _____ a (f) _____ life.
Answer: (a) from; (b) for; (c) to; (d) from; (e) for; (f) long.
21. Drug addiction means strong attraction (a) ________ harmful things like heroin, opium, morphine, cocaine, phensidyl. These drugs are taken by smoking or (b) _______ injection. The frequent taking of these drugs leads a man (c) ______ death. So all concerned should create awareness (d) ______ personal and family levels (e) ________ this dangerous impact (f) _________ drug addiction.
Answer: (a) for; (b) through; (c) to; (d) in; (e) against; (f) of.
22. You will be happy to learn that I won the first prize (a) _____the speech competition held (d) ______our school yesterday (c) ________ the importance of learning English. Now I am telling you briefly what I said (d) _______ that occasion. Being an international language, English holds the key (e) _______the broad expense (f) _______ learning and knowledge.
Answer: (a) in; (b) in; (c) on; (d) on; (e) to; (f) of.
23. Cordellia took leave (a) _______ her jealous sisters with tears in her eyes. She begged them to take good care (b) _______ their father. But they said it was not necessary (c) _____ her (d) _____ teach them their duty. She should look (e) ______ her husband’s welfare, and not trouble (f) ______them.
Answer: (a) from; (b) of; (c) for; (d) to; (e) after; (f) with.
24. I hope you are all right. What are you going to do (a) ______ the next autumn vacation? Please come (b) _______ my village I invite you to pass a few days (c) _______ me good time here. My village is (d) _______ the bank of a small river which is full (e) ______the brim (f) ______ the bank of a small river which is full (e) _______ the brim (f) ______ the rainy season.
Answer: (a) in; (b) to; (c) with; (d) on; (e) to; (f) in.
25. The moon is a very familiar figure (a) ______ all of us. She awakens a feeling (b) _____ love and tenderness in our hearts. Even the infant in arms stretches (c) ______ its hands to grasp this beautiful object. Nor is her appeal confined (d) _______ only children. Ever since the stirring (e) ________ the poetic faculty in man, she is furnished a theme (f) _______ poets and artists.
Answer: (a) to; (b) of ; (c) up; (d) to; (e) of; (f) for.
26. In a society all men are not equally well off. Some are rich and some are very poor. This is because (a) ______ unequal distribution of national wealth. Many are deprived (b) ______the basic needs of life. They must be provided (c) _______ their dues. The rich always draw a line of contrast (d) ______ themselves and the poor. Most (e) ______ them look down (f) ______the poor. Most (e) _______ them look down (f) _______ the poor. They should be conscious and their humanity should be improved.
Answer: (a) of; (b) from; (c) with; (d) between; (e) of; (f) to.
27. Plants and trees are important elements (a) _____ our environment. They are absolutely necessary (b) ________ our existence (c) _____ this earth. They help (d) _____ maintain the ecological balance of the environment. It is admitted that to maintain ecological balance (e) _____ least 25% of the total land area (f) ____ a country should be forests.
Answer: (a) of; (b) for; (c) on; (d) to; (e) at; (f) of.
28. One should not run (a)______ money because those who hanker (b)_______money cannot enjoy mental peace. Sometimes it may lead one (c)_____some unexpected troubles. It also happens that greed (d)_______money brings (e)______many problems. So we should be contented (f)_______what we have.
Answer: (a) after; (b) after; (c) to; (d) for; (e) about; (f) with.
29. Do you want (a)______enjoy sound health? Your answer will certainly be (b) ________the affirmative. It is because everybody wants to enjoy this. But you have (c)______know the way of maintaining sound health. (d)_______this you need to know what sound health is. When a person has both physical fitness mental fitness, he/she can be said (e)_______be enjoying sound health. Now, you can think (f)_______physical fitness first.
Answer: (a) to; (b) in; (c) to; (d) For; (e) to; (f) of.
30. I woke (a)_______at 6 a.m. but felt to lazy to leave my bed I had my usual breakfast (b) _____cereal and milk boring. (c)_______school and feeling tired I returned (d)_____ school. I watched pop eye over a cup (e) _______ milk. I enjoyed my dinner because this is the only time (f)_______the family to sit together.
Answer: (a) up; (b) with; (c) to; (d) from; (e) of; (f) for.
31. Happiness consists (a) _______ contentment. So, we should not run (b) ______ more and more money. Sometimes it may bring (c) ______ some unexpected troubles and one may fall a victim (d) _____ dangers for his unusual greed (e) ______ money. We all should be contented (f) ____ what we have.
Answer: (a) in; (b) after; (c) about: (d) to; (e) for; (f) with.
32. Education is the process by which our minds develop (a) _____ formal learning. I is a mental and intellectual training which provides us (b) _____ opportunity of mental growth and helps to remove any prejudice (c) _____ the purity of mind. As a result, our minds are attuned (d) _____ the thought of our minds are attuned (d) ______ the thought of the welfare (e) _______ mankind. We should not forget the duties vested (f) _______ us after receiving education.
Answer: (a) through; (b) with; (c) for, (d) to; (e) of; (f) on.
33. Nakshi Katha’ is a common handicraft. This has a long rich tradition in Bangladesh. Bangladeshi women are very efficient (a)______needle work. Artistic needlework is the specialty (d)______Nakshi Katha. It takes to long time to complete sewing a Katha. So, we should try to save this art (e)______ruination. The government should look (f)_____the matter.
Answer: (a) in; (b) of; (c) for; (d) in; (e) from; (f) into.
34. The world (a)_____us is becoming more and more polluted by day. The cities are filed (b) _____fume and smoke from motor vehicles, mills and factories. The seas are polluted (c)_____industrial waste, chemicals and other poisons. Forest is being cut (d)_____on a large scale. (e)_______ instance, in Brazil thousands of square miles (f)______forests are being cleared and burned.
Answer: (a) around, (b) with; (c) by;. (d) off; (e) for; (f) of.
35. Many people commit sin either knowingly or unknowingly. (a)_____the long run a sinner atones (b) ______his sin because he knows that everyone is accountable (c) ________God (d)________his deeds. So when a sinner becomes really penitent, he is seen devoted (e)_________God. Sometimes he is seen absorbed (f)_________ deep meditation.
Answer: (a) in; (b) for; (c) to; (d) for; (e) to; (f) in.
36. Dowry prevails (a)_____Bangladesh. Despite much effort to do (b) _____with it this curse still exists (c)______ the country. Even this moment wile we discuss the issue, somewhere in Bangladesh a bride is being beaten (d)_______dowry. She is being oppressed (e)_______ the hands of her (f)______laws and she is being tortured.
Answer: (a) in; (b) away; (c) in; (d) for; (e) by/in; (f) in.
37. Man is mortal. His life (a)_____earth is short lived. One day he has to depart (b) _______this world (e)__________. There is no alternative (f)_______it.
Answer: (a) on; (b) from; (c) with: (d) of: (e) behind: (f) to.
38. There are some people in the society who always criticize others. These people mock (a)________you without considering whether your work is good or bad (b) ________ the society . Should you pay heed (c)_______them? You need not be shocked (d)______their criticism. Because they are envious of you and your good action or accustomed (e) ______ doing. So, therefore, a wise man will not stop his activities finding others criticize him. On the contrary, he will learn a lesson (f)______their criticism and thereby better his work.
Answer: (a) at; (b) for; (c) to; (d) at; (e) to; (f) from.