SSC Model Test 2017 (English 2nd Paper)
Full Marks: 100 Time: 2:30 Hours Part A: Grammar
1. Fill in the blanks with the words from the box. You may need to change the forms of some of the words. You may need to use one word more than once. 0.5×10=5
There is a close relation between man (a) —- nature. Man has established (b) —- friendship with nature. It helps us (c) —- many ways. Similarly, trees are closely related (d) —- our life. Trees play (e) —- important role in our life (f) —- economy. Trees are very (g) —- to us. We get oxygen (h) —- them. They are (i) —- great source of food and vitamin. They meet (j) —- our local demands.
2. Fill in the blanks with suitable words 0.5×10=05
(a) —- of the children in Bangladesh live (b) —- the poverty line. Child mortality (c) —- very high. Poverty, malnutrition, shortage of drinking water, primary health care, teenage motherhood etc. (d) —- the causes (e) —- high (f) —- mortality. Child trafficking has become (g) —- regular phenomenon. Many children are (h) —- used (i) —- camel jockeys (j) —- the gulf countries.
3. Make five sentences using parts of sentence from each column of the table below. 1×5=05
|Sincerity||are||indifferent to the importance of sincerity|
|A sincere man||is||properly|
|The great people||not aware of its importance|
|The people of our country||works||also sincere to their work|
|They||a great virtue|
4. Complete the following text with right forms of the verbs given in the box. 0.5×10=05
Money (a) ___ one happy unless it (b) ___ through fair means. There are people who (c) ___ a lot of money but it (d) ___ peace of mind of them. Their hours and days (e) ___ only for earning money. Thus they get used to (f) ___ after money till death. They (g) ___their bags of money but their money is a liability to them. Costly dress is (h) ___ by them but their costly dress cannot give them peace. On the other hand, the poor (i) ___ happy though they do not have wealth or money. They (j) ___ the peace of mind.
5. Change the narrative style of the following text. 05
“Great king of the genies,” called the monster, “I will never again disobey you.” Hearing those words, the fisherman became brave and said, “Tell me why you were locked up in the vase.” The giant angrily looked at him and said, “Speak to me more politely or I shall kill you.”
6. Change the sentences according to directions. 1×10=10
a) A healthy poor man is happier than a sick moneyed man. (Positive)
b) Health can be improved by regular physical exercise and a balanced diet. (Active)
c) She is not as ugly as you said. (Comparative)
d) The man is not frugal at all. (Affirmative)
e) The freedom fighters are the real heroes. (Compound)
f) A computer is greater than all other inventions of modern science. g) Little boys and girls make merriment and amuse themselves. (Simple) h) Poets of all languages have sung highly of a moonlit night. (Complex)
i) The visibility of beautiful nature at night makes the vision mysterious. (Complex)
j) Do or die. (Simple)
7. Complete the sentences. 1×5=5
a) He spoke as if ———–.
b) Having stolen my watch ———–
c) He runs fast lest ———–.
d) Hardly had I reached the station ———–.
e) The answer that he ———–.
8. Complete the text adding suffixes, prefixes or the both with the root words given in the parenthesis. 0.5×10=5
(a) —- (persevere) —- is a great virtue to be (b) —- (success) —- in life. Those who do not persevere in life become (c) —- (success) —- in their mission and only blame their lot for their (d) —- (fortune) —-. Remember that the successful people are always hard working and (e) —- (persevere) —-. So try to be persevering. (f) —- (Sincere) —- is another virtue that (g) —- (able) —- a person to accomplish a job (h) —- (appropriate) —-. Student life is the (i) —- (form) —- period of a man’s life. One should not (j) —- (use) —- this period of life.
9. Make tag questions of these statements. 1×5=5
a) Please let her do whatever she likes,——–?
b) The stranger as well as his friends visited the spot, ——— ?
c) He hardly visits here, ————– ?
d) Neither you nor she cut the cake, ———— ?
e) ‘I’ is a vowel, ———- ?
10. Complete the passage using suitable connectors. 1×5=5 Student life is the best time in life. (a) —– almost every student is free from cares (b) —– anxieties of life. He has nothing to do (c) —– study. (d) —– a student, he should read novels, magazines, newspaper (e) —– textbooks.
11. Use capitals and punctuation marks where necessary in the following text. 05
what kind of stories did Aesop tell said anwar fables replied mrs amin do you know what fables are no replied anwar well continued mrs amin fables are stories with a message or a moral.
12. Suppose, you are Farhan/Farhana Ahmed and you have completed MBA from the University of Dhaka. You have seen a vacancy ad for the position of Management Trainee Officer in a private bank. Now write a CV with cover letter for the post. 08
13. Suppose, you are the students of Ramgonj High School, Lakshmipur. You are interested to go on a Study Tour to a historical place. Now write an application to the Headmaster of your school seeking permission and monetary assistance in this regard. 10
14. Write a Paragraph on “Your School Magazine”
a) What is a School Magazine? b) What are the benefits of a school magazine? c) Who work hard and soul to publish it? How does a school magazine help the students and the institution? 10
15. Write a Composition on “Wonders of Modern Science” 12
Mahbub Murad (Lecturer of English)
Mohanagar Ideal College, Dhaka
Examiner of Dhaka Board
1. a) andb) a/useful c) in d) to e) an f) and g) useful h) from i) a j) up
2. a) many/most b) below c) is d) are e) of f) rate g) a h) being i) as j) in
3. a) Sincerity is a great virtue.
b) A sincere man works properly.
c) The great people are also sincere to their work.
d) The people of our country are not aware of its importance.
e) They are indifferent to the importance of sincerity.
4. a) cannot make b) is earned c) have d) does not bring e) are spent f) running g) enrich h) worn i) are j) can enjoy
5. Addressing the fisherman as the great king of the genies, the monster told him (fisherman) that he would never again disobey him (fisherman). Hearing those words, the fisherman became brave and ordered him (monster) to tell him (fisherman) why he had been locked up in the vase. The giant angrily looked at him (fisherman) and order him (fisherman) to speak more politely or he (monster) would kill him (fisherman).
6. a) A sick moneyed man is not as happy as a healthy poor man.
b) Anyone can improve health by regular physical exercise and a balanced diet.
c) She is less/more ugly than you said.
d) The man is very wasteful/lavish.
e) The freedom fighters are heroes and they are the real heroes.
f) No other invention of modern science is as great as a computer.
g) Making merriment, little boys and girls amuse themselves.
h) The Poets who are of all languages have sung highly of a moonlit night.
i) It is the visibility of beautiful nature at night which makes the vision mysterious.
j) Without doing it, you will die.
7. a) He spoke as if he had known everything.
b) Having stolen my watch he left the place/ he had run away. c) He runs fast lest he should miss the train.
d) Hardly had I reached the station when the train left the platform.
e) The answer that he gave was incorrect.
8. a) perseverance b) successful c) unsuccessful d) misfortune e) persevering f) sincerity g) enables h) appropriately i) formative j) misuse
9. a) Please let her do whatever she likes, will you?
b) The stranger as well as his friends visited the spot, didn’t he?
c) He hardly visits here, does he?
d) Neither you nor she cut the cake, did she?
e) ‘I’ is a vowel, isn’t it?
10. a) Because b) and c) but d) As e)and
11. “What kind of story Aesop tell?” said Anwar. “Fables,” replied Mrs. Amin. “Do you know what fables are?” “No,” replied Anwar. “Well,” continued Mrs. Amin. “Fables are stories with a message or a moral.”