HSC Model Test 2018
Subject: English 2nd Paper
Full Marks: 100 Time: 3 Hours
Part A : Grammar (60 Marks)
1. Fill in the blanks in the following text with articles (a/an/the) as necessary. Some of the blanks may not require an article. Put a cross (×) in those blanks. 0.5×10=5
(a) —— ant is (b) —— industrious insect. No other insect is as (c) —— ant. If we open (d) —— page of history, we shall see that (e) —— men who have become great were (f) —— industrious. (g) —— industrious are liked by all. On (h) —— other hand, (i) —— idle are hated by all. So industry is (j) —— must to prosper in life.
2. Complete the text with suitable prepositions. .5×10=5
A good student is never indifferent (a) —— his studies. He always adheres (b) —— his studies. He does not learn things (c) —— rote. He does not hunt (d) –— traditional guide books. Moreover, he has great thirst (e) —— knowledge. For this, he does not confine himself (f) —— the traditional studies. He is always aware (g) —— the current affairs (h) —— the world. He abides (i) —— his teacher’s advice and jot (j) —— their lecture.
3. Complete the sentences with suitable phrases/words given in the box. .5×10=5
|would rather||what’s it like||as soon as||let alone||there|
|was born||what does… look like||as if||have to
(a) William Wordsworth was the second of his father’s five sons. He —— at Cumberland on April 4, 1770.
(b) We –— have a snack than sit here silently. The train will arrive in two hours.
(c) The people living in the slums lead a very miserable life. They usually suffer from various kinds of troubles. At times they—— pass sleepless night.
(d) —— the poet arrived, the audiences started clapping loudly. The poet became very pleased. (e) Many students of our country are drug addicted. They think in a way—— they were very smart.
(f) Once —— was a snowman. He was tall but he became small when he melted in the sun.
(g) —— living in college hostel? You seem to be very happy with your hostel life.
(h) Rakib is very introvert. He does not even feel comfort in the telephone, –— speak in public. (i) Teacher : —— a fairy ——? Student : Sorry sir. We have no idea.
(j) —— was a very cold night. People were sleeping. Suddenly Mohsin heard a sound and found a man standing alone
4. Complete the sentences using suitable clauses/phrases. .5×10=5
(a) Corruption has risen to so an extent that people want to get rid of it. It is high time ——.
(b) You cannot buy a car unless ——. It costs a lot.
(c) He is so short that ——.
(d) Since my final exam was going on, I could not go there. I studied hard lest I ——.
(e) There are many helpless people. I wish ——.
(f) I worked hard although ——.
(g) Yesterday I could not get up from bed on time because ——.
(h) Eve-teasing is one of the serious problems. It is an inhuman and barbarous act. We should create public awareness so that ——.
(i) Spring is the time when ——. This time they hide themselves and coo from the high branches of trees.
(j) I could not recognize you at first. It was five years since we ——.
5. Read the text and fill in the gaps with the correct form of verbs as per subject and context. 0.5×10=5
A proverb goes that time and tide wait for none. Since the dawn of civilization, time is (a) —— (move). It (b) —— (take) any rest. It is never constant. Time once gone is (c) —— (go) forever. Lost health may be regained by medicine and proper caring and nursing. Lost time cannot be (d) —— (recover) by any means because nobody can stop the ceaseless onward march of time. Life (e) —— (be) nothing but the sum total of some moments. So, everybody should (f) —— (utilize) every moment of his life. But everyone (g) —— (do) so. Only a few people (h) —— (make) proper use of time and they can (i) —— (rise) to the pinnacles of glory by (j) —— (overcome) the problems of life in this world. We should follow them.
6. Read the text and change the sentences as directed. 1×5=5
(a) Eve-teasing is one of the most serious problems. (Positive) (b) It is an inhuman and barbarous act. (Complex) (c) The problem cannot be solved overnight. (Active) (d) We should create public awareness so that we can solve this problem. (Simple) (e) All eveteasers should be punished. (Negative)
7. Change the narrative style by using indirect speeches. 1×5=5
“Follow my example”, she said as we shook hands, “and never eat more than one thing for Luncheon.” “I’ll do better than that”. I retorted, “I’ll eat nothing at dinner tonight” “Humorist!” She cried gaily, jumping into a cab.
8. Identify the unclear pronoun references in the following text. Where necessary, rewrite the sentences so that all pronoun references are clear. 1×5=5
Othello was a brave soldier whom had risen to become a General. He had shown it bravery in many bloody battles against the Truks. Someone praised him and the senate trusted him. Brabantio, a rich senator of Venice, had only one child, a daughter named Desdimona. Brabantio often invited Othello to his house where he and her daughter listened in wonder to Othello as she spoke about his adventures.
9. Read the following text and use modifiers in the blank spaces as directed. .5×10=5
Arsenic is a (a) —— (Pre-modify the noun) substance. It is (b) —— (Use an intensifier to pre-modify the adjective) dangerous for human health. (c) —— (Use a demonstrative to premodify the noun) substance is found in the water of the tube well. There are (d) —— (Premodify the noun) villages in our country. Most of our (e) —— (Use a noun adjective to premodify the noun) people drink tube well water. At present they are passing their days (f) –— (Use a participle to pre-modify the verb). (g) ——(Use a participle to pre-modify the verb) people suffer from different kinds of problems. This problem is (h) –— (Pre-modify the verb) found in North Bengal. We should take a serious measure (i) —— (Use an infinitive phrase to post-modify the verb) which produce contaminated water. Government is trying to identify the tube wells (j) –— (Post-modify the verb) red.
10. Use appropriate sentence connectors in the blank spaces of the following text. .5×10=5
Mobile phone has become an essential gadget for everybody. (a) —— it has become very popular. (b) –— it has created a number of problems. It has (c) —— advantages (d) —— disadvantages. (e) –—it helps connect people. (f) —— it helps to exchange information. (g) —— it can be used for various purposes. (h) —— it has a few disadvantages (i) —— can cause a lot of troubles. (j) –— it advantages are more than its disadvantages.
11. Read the following passage and then write the synonym or antonym of the words as directed below. .5×10=5
Teaching is a noble profession. It is an ideal career for women. Teaching gives women a golden chance to take care of household works. Teaching is more difficult than any other job. A teacher not only has to take classes but also prepare students’ test and assess exam scripts after class hours. And he has to guide his learners also to choose career. (a) teaching (antonym); (b) noble (antonym); (c) profession (synonym) ; (d) chance (synonym); (e) prepare (synonym); (f) difficult (antonym); (g) assess (synonym); (h) guide (antonym); (i) household (synonym); (j) choose (antonym).
12. There are ten errors in the use of punctuation marks in the following text. Rewrite the text correcting the errors. .5×10=5
Customer : Do you have something to drink
Waiter : Hot or cold sir
Customer : Give me something hot
Waiter : What would you like to have sir? Tea coffee milk or hot chocolate
Customer : Hot chocolate sounds interesting. Bring a cup of hot chocolate.
Waiter : Anything else sir.
Customer : No thanks.
Part B : Composition (40 Marks)
13. Suppose, you are Rashid/Rashida and studying at XYZ college in Bogra. Now, on behalf of the students of your college, write an application to the Principal for staging a drama in the college auditorium. 8
14. Suppose, you are a reporter of a newspaper published from Dhaka. Now, you are asked to write a report on the devastating consequences of drug addiction in the context of Bangladesh. 8
15. Write a paragraph describing the facilities and lacking of our college library. Use 100- 150 words. 10 16. Write a composition on ‘Students and Social Service’. Write at least 200 words but don’t exceed 250 words. 14
Mahbub Murad (Lecturer in English)
Writer and Editor.
Examiner: Dhaka Examination Board